Help with Post-Installation steps, Change of SSID & Change of IP-Address

Posted by Bud73 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Help with Post-Installation steps, Change of SSID & Change of IP-Address
June 15, 2014 03:48PM
Fellow Pirates,
I feel like I'm making progress since my PB is running, but I'm stuck on a few important details. It seems like these directions are written for people that already know how to make a piratebox, not for someone trying to learn how to make a piratebox. I'm not ready to give up, but I am ready for some help please.

RE: Post-Installation Instruction - Screenshot

Step 3 of Post-Installation: I have no idea if I did anything, did not receive any confirmation and don't know if I did this right.

Step 4 of Post-Installation: I pointed the browser to the link. I see the forum, what is the first initialization; what do I do here?

Step 5 of Post-Installation: Totally lost here. Putty gives me no response or access denied. I have no idea if I did anything, did not receive any confirmation and don't know if I did this right.

Step 6 of Post-Installation: Totally lost here. Putty gives me no response or access denied. I have no idea if I did anything, did not receive any confirmation and don't know if I did this right.

Step 7 of Post-Installation: My PirateBox is usable, but are all the features working?... I have no idea, I've never owned one before.

RE: Change SSID & Change of IP-Address - Screenshot

Did we stop using Putty to change the SSID and IP? None of this does anything when I put into putty and I have no idea where I went wrong or if I'm on the right track.

Thank you very much... your assistance is appreciated

edit to share hardware:
TP-Link MR3040
Kingston DataTraveler SE9 64GB USB 2.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 04:12PM by Bud73.
Re: Help with Post-Installation steps, Change of SSID & Change of IP-Address
June 15, 2014 05:51PM

> Step 3 of Post-Installation: I have no idea if I
> did anything, did not receive any confirmation and
> don't know if I did this right.
I'm having trouble with this too, but I have another thread for that

> Step 4 of Post-Installation: I pointed the
> browser to the link. I see the forum, what is the
> first initialization; what do I do here?
That's just it. If you see the forum you did the first initialization and it worked.

> Step 5 of Post-Installation: Totally lost here.
> Putty gives me no response or access denied. I
> have no idea if I did anything, did not receive
> any confirmation and don't know if I did this
> right.
There is no confirmation. It just copies the stuff from the example file to the config file. If you want to see if you did everything right, open each file and look if they are the same.

> Step 6 of Post-Installation: Totally lost here.
> Putty gives me no response or access denied. I
> have no idea if I did anything, did not receive
> any confirmation and don't know if I did this
> right.
Again, no confirmation. See if you can use an UPnP client and find the PirateBox.

> Step 7 of Post-Installation: My PirateBox is
> usable, but are all the features working?... I
> have no idea, I've never owned one before.
Visit piratebox.lan, try writing something in the chat, uploading a file and make a thread on your forum. Everything working? Good.

> RE: Change SSID & Change of IP-Address
> Did we stop using Putty to change the SSID and IP?
> None of this does anything when I put into putty
> and I have no idea where I went wrong or if I'm on
> the right track.
To change the SSID you have to use Putty. You have to edit the file /etc/config/wireless . To do this, you have to type vi in Putty in front of the file path. Like this
vi /etc/config/wireless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 05:54PM by Smipes.
June 15, 2014 07:23PM
Thank you very much for the reply Smipes. I appreciate the support.

Just to restate and confirm....

1. The "timsave functionality" (step 3 of post installation) is activated if the chat and forum register and save the correct time? My chat shows the time like a timer, as in it is displaying time as how long ive been logged in..... My forum shows the time today as 30/01/01 (Thu) at 00:12, and yesterday as 30/01/01 (Thu) at 01:45. So my forum posts aren't in the correct sequence because its date is fixed and the time is also like a timer.... I assume the "timsave functionality" isn't working and I should keep an eye on your thread.

2. So I know I activated and started the UPnP Media Server correctly (step 5 & 6 of post installation) if I am able to upload media, view or listen to said media and download a copy too? I haven't uploaded any video, just mp3 and jpg.... I am able to locate and access the PB via the SSID; is there another way to see that this has been done correctly? Or is it just that simple?

Note: I wasn't able to open the files to see if they were the same. What goes in front of the file path to open/view these files?

3. I was able to change the SSID just as you instructed. How do I change the IP address so it is different than my home router?

Thank you again for all your help!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 07:27PM by Bud73.
June 15, 2014 09:07PM
Hi,
http://piratebox.cc/openwrt:mods
that url should help you.

Matthias
June 15, 2014 09:35PM
I think I was able to change the IP address via

vi /etc/config/network

Is that the only change I need to make? I went back in a second time and the new address is still there, but when I log into Putty I have to use the old IP of 192.168.1.1 to logon, not the new IP address of 192.168.9.1

Also, are the other steps I mentioned earlier correct? Is it just the timesave I'm missing and everything else is ok?

Thank you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 09:39PM by Bud73.
June 16, 2014 12:46AM
I think my 3040 is bricked. Must have been something to do with the IP change.

Can't wifi into it. Can't access via ethernet.

I killed a whole weekend on this, will try again some other day. Maybe failsave will work, maybe a new router.
June 16, 2014 06:54PM
No, you won't brick a device via changing the network config. Only check out, that you get into the box via failsafe mode.
And be a bit patient about my response times... I don't want to spend my whole freetime within my "of from work"-time... Piratebox turns out as a full-time project.
June 17, 2014 01:08AM
Matthias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ....... And be a bit patient about my response times... I
> don't want to spend my whole freetime within my
> "of from work"-time... Piratebox turns out as a
> full-time project.

Hi Matthias,
If I said or did anything to imply I'm impatient with you, I apologize. You are a very valuable resource and I appreciate all the help you have given me and others in the forum. Others have been helpful too, but I respect the time you put into this project.

Thanks again & Share Freely!
Bud73
June 17, 2014 09:36PM
Hi Bud,
You haven't offended me, no worries, I was just curious about the amount of ppl asking stuff in the forums and try to fix it (the wrong way), then want to buy another one or throw it into the waste.

After the 10th post, I'm becoming inpatient, when I read short posting times and unsatisfied ppl.

Matthias

This is only my signature.
Accessing UPnP Media Server
August 14, 2014 05:33PM
>
> > Step 7 of Post-Installation: My PirateBox is
> > usable, but are all the features working?... I
> > have no idea, I've never owned one before.
>
> Visit piratebox.lan, try writing something in the
> chat, uploading a file and make a thread on your
> forum. Everything working? Good.
>

The chat works, I was able to post twice in the forum, & I can upload files. About these files, I get a standard 'ftp' type listing of all the files I posted and of the directory structure I created by manually modifying the USBdrive on my PC. Everything works! I'm trying to understand what role the UPnP Media Server plays. The nearest I can figure is that this feature is not available to web browsers like IE or FireFox, and that I need to launch another entirely different client-type application to use this feature. Is this true? Am I missing something or am I expecting something that isn't there?

I do get a status report listing the number of each kind of media files when I hit the default (8200) port.

Thanx for any ideas you may have.
Re: Accessing UPnP Media Server
August 14, 2014 05:36PM
Hi Terry,
see this page to get an idea: [piratebox.cc]

August 14, 2014 07:42PM
thanx mat
I was able to DL MediaMonkey to my Windows8 box and determine that the PB is indeed serving media. I'm amazed that the latest version of windows cannot see this content.

I'm hoping you'll answer another question that I can't check on my own: If I had a tablet or smartfone, would my "PirateBox DLNA" media server pop up like the 'Pirate Box -- Share Freely' SSID or any other SSID?

I'm trying to visualize how this feature is advertised and accessed conveniently.
August 14, 2014 09:50PM
SSID is PirateBox-Share freely

and then you'll see on the media client the "PirateBox DLNA"

I've been having trouble from step 1.

When i click on the putty link it just takes me to the piratebox.lan, so i used the command line (cus "terminal") and see if that would work, but it didn't.

also i found out that my uploading files feature, files, and forums page wasn't working. But i think that's part of the post-installation.

pls halp
August 17, 2014 10:39AM
Well, of course you can not download Putty while you are connected to the PirateBox, because you don't have internet.
Please download Putty before you connect to your PirateBox and then Proceed.

The upload box does not appear? Or what do you mean with "it is not working" ?