Redirection not enabled

Posted by Yaj 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Yaj
Redirection not enabled
July 19, 2014 07:24PM
Hello!

I've installed and gotten my PB up and running, everything is great except that it does not automatically redirect URL entries to the PB. I have to manually enter IP or host.

Is there a configuration that I am perhaps missing, or have turned off accidentally? I did a search for other related issues to troubleshoot on my own but have not been successful.

Thank you in advance,
Yaj
Re: Redirection not enabled
July 21, 2014 06:48PM
Is your PirateBox an OpenWRT PirateBox?
Is it connected to your home network?
Is your client setup with a static IP Adress?

This is only my signature.
July 25, 2014 04:36PM
I have noticed tis but it typically happens more with ios only though and only when I'm using a large capacity drive. I think the dlna caching on large capacity drive may cause the interface to hiccup a bit, but I dunno. smiling smiley

Client is dhcp
No not connected only to pirate box.
Piratebox is an openwrt release. Doesn't happen with MR3020 only buffalo but I think it's related to large capacity deive
July 29, 2014 04:54PM
no, is the piratebox connected to a home-router?
Does no dnsname work? How does the "not work" look like?

Matthias

August 15, 2014 01:24AM
Bought a 32 gig thumb drive today, copied all files over, and got exactly the same problem. Android says "The webpage could not be loaded" although it was connected. Upgraded from an 8 gig drive if it helps (want to have more potential space for music and movies)

After I put in the IP address, (192.168.1.1), worked fine. Would like to find a fix for this too. Bumping to keep thread alive, and to not stink up the place spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 17, 2014 10:41AM
Hi,
can you please login to your box and post me the result of the troubleshooting page?

Matthias

UnmoG
August 21, 2014 04:30AM
I recently made a piratebox and am loving it. I noticed that if the computer connected has a Manually set dns server then it does not get auto redirected, and [xxxxxx] never gets redirected. Hope this helps.
January 22, 2015 06:51PM
I'm having the same problem too. Running MR3020 with a 32GB thumbdrive and freshly-installed, un-modified PirateBox/OpenWRT software. The MR3020 is not connected to any network, such as a router; the only cable connected is the USB power cable.

When I join the PB wifi network with an iOS device running iOS 7.1.2 and open the Safari browser, then type in any random non-https web address like [example.com], it displays Safari's built-in error message about not being able to connect to the Internet (this is not an error page served by the Pcool smiley. The error message says:

Safari cannot open the page because your [iPhone/iPad/iPod touch] is not connected to the Internet.
The iOS device is automatically set to use "192.168.1.1" as the DNS server in the wifi network settings upon connecting to the wifi network. If I navigate to [piratebox.lan] or [192.168.1.1], it successfully loads the PB webpage as expected. I've also tried using the iOS "Reset Network Settings" tool, but the results are the same afterwards.

However, when I connect to the PB wifi network with Ubuntu 14.04 and use Firefox to go to [example.com], or with Mac OS X 10.8.5 and use Safari, it successfully loads the PB webpage with chat/upload features as expected. On both Ubuntu and Mac OS, the computer is automatically set to use "192.168.1.1" as the DNS server upon connecting to the wifi network.

This is very strange because the iOS device is set to use the correct DNS server but still won't load the PB webpage with any domain. So it appears that the majority of iOS users currently can't use a PirateBox because there's no chance of them knowing in advance to type [piratebox.lan] or [192.168.1.1].
January 23, 2015 08:47AM
Hi,
I'm sorry, but I'm not able to reproduce it. I have an iOS8 device with me and everything works fine.
The configuration file, which is responsible for the network-detection of iOS wasn't changed since September '13 [github.com]

What I did to reproduce the steps?
- Emptied out my stable running PirateBox and moved away the files into a different folder
- Downloaded the latest files from stable.openwrt.piratebox.de and placed them according to the update howto to the usb stick
- Booted via failsafe, flashed the device
- Waited until auto install is done
- Then logged into via my iPhone and tested with
[code=html]http://heise.de
example.com
[/code]
Both brought up the website like expected.

Can you verify that you don't have a static network setting set?
Did you try to reset you network configuration, like some manual explain it?

I'm pretty clueless sad smiley

Matthias
January 24, 2015 07:16AM
Matthias, thank you for testing it out on your PirateBox.

This is odd because I did use the "Reset Network Settings" feature on my iOS device, but the one thing it actually didn't reset was my VPN profile. I don't know why "Reset Network Settings" doesn't clear out the VPN settings, but it should!

Anyway, after reading your post and manually deleting my device's VPN profile, everything now works normally. I can see the PB webpage at any random non-https address now, such as [example.com].

Thanks again for your help. Now we know VPN profiles mess up connecting to PirateBoxes!