Laptop pirate box issues

Posted by trakor 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Laptop pirate box issues
July 20, 2014 09:10AM
I have been trying to set up pirate box on my laptop but can't get it to run. I was following this guide: [piratebox.cc] I'm new to linux so I don't know much about any of this stuff so please be patient while helping me solve it.

If you guys could explain what is happening in the scripts and stuff that would be great because I want to learn. I'm not completely clueless as I actually have a decent understanding of programming.

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

# /opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox start
/opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox: 57: /opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox: [[: not found
Starting initialize PirateBox Part2..
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/opt/piratebox/www/board/board’: File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/opt/piratebox/www/Shared/Shared’: File exists
 * Starting script piratebox                                                    
Generating hosts file .... 
Generating dnsmasq.conf .....
Generating Environment-config for ligttpd .....
Empty tmp folder
rm: cannot remove ‘/opt/piratebox/tmp/’: Is a directory
Copy over design files
/opt/piratebox/bin/distribute_files.sh: 41: [: all: unexpected operator
Distribute all into /opt/piratebox/share/Shared 
cp: cannot stat ‘all’: No such file or directory
 * Starting hostap...                                                    [ OK ] 
 *   Setting up wlan                                                            Bringing up wifi interface wlan0 
Setting up wlan0
 * Starting dnsmasq...                                                   [fail] 
 * Starting droopy...                                                    [ OK ] 
Generated HTML-Shoutbox File.
chmod: cannot access ‘ug+rw’: No such file or directory
 * Starting lighttpd...                                                  [ OK ] 
Re: Laptop pirate box issues
July 20, 2014 10:09AM
Is "dnsmasq" installed ?
Installation instructions: [wiki.debian.org]
July 21, 2014 01:59AM
Yes, looks like it.
July 21, 2014 06:52PM
Is it disabled?
did you run it as root?
And it seems that the default shell is a bit weired, because you get some more script errors I did....

This is only my signature.
July 22, 2014 04:31AM
I don't know how to check if its disabled or not. This is all new to me.

I ran it as root, and now I got an additional error too: 2014-07-22 00:11:04: (network.c.405) can't bind to port: 80 Address already in use

/opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox: 57: /opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox: [[: not found
Starting initialize PirateBox Part2..
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/opt/piratebox/www/board/board’: File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link ‘/opt/piratebox/www/Shared/Shared’: File exists
 * Starting script piratebox                                                    
Generating hosts file .... 
Generating dnsmasq.conf .....
Generating Environment-config for ligttpd .....
Empty tmp folder
rm: cannot remove ‘/opt/piratebox/tmp/’: Is a directory
Copy over design files
/opt/piratebox/bin/distribute_files.sh: 41: [: all: unexpected operator
Distribute all into /opt/piratebox/share/Shared 
cp: cannot stat ‘all’: No such file or directory
 * Starting hostap...                                                    [ OK ] 
 *   Setting up wlan                                                            Bringing up wifi interface wlan0 
Setting up wlan0
 * Starting dnsmasq...                                                   [fail] 
 * Starting droopy...                                                    [ OK ] 
Generated HTML-Shoutbox File.
chmod: cannot access ‘ug+rw’: No such file or directory
 * Starting lighttpd...                                                         2014-07-22 00:22:57: (network.c.405) can't bind to port:  80 Address already in use 
                                                                         [fail]
July 22, 2014 05:13PM
that means, that the Port is already used. That can happen with starting the PirateBox twice.

Did you run kind of these steps as well?
 sudo /etc/init.d/hostapd  stop
 sudo update-rc.d hostapd remove

do you think you can exchange /bin/sh with /bin/bash without breaking anything? (remove /bin/sh and create a symlink on /bin/bash )

Matthias

This is only my signature.
July 24, 2014 05:55PM
I managed to get it to work by doing what you said (replacing sh with bash).

Then after restarting the laptop, it no longer broadcasts the hotspot. I ran the start up script and didn't get any errors, networking is enabled, and wicd doesn't exist in /etc/init.d/

I'm really tired right now so I might be overlooking something simple.
July 24, 2014 10:40PM
I hope I am in the rite area.
How do I install wifi dongle.
I am new to all this,I have been following the setup instructions. but I need to get my Edimax usb wifi dongle up and running .
when i disconnect the Ethernet cable from the pi, no joy?

Please help

Graham
July 25, 2014 05:12PM
I'm new also, I can't help you with that.

You should try making a new thread about.