So what do you have on your Pirate Box .

Posted by dfist45 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
So what do you have on your Pirate Box .
July 22, 2014 04:46AM
I had been looking for ideas as to what i should put as far as files go on my pirate box (tp-link mr3040).

i have a 64 gb flash drive paired with my router. I have on it right now one random anime and some random pics.
I might put smaller Linux distros (<1.5gb) with install instructions and some ebooks about programming and open source philosophy.

And i was wondering what you guys have on your boxes. So please share.
Re: So what do you have on your Pirate Box .
July 22, 2014 12:30PM
Idk, that's something for me to think about too.

I think we should work together to compile an official archive of simple noob friendly instructions and stuff regarding privacy, explaining why maintaining privacy is important, etc.

Maybe a FQA or read-me explaining the project.
July 22, 2014 05:10PM
I would like to see are more verbose download-able zip (Internet -> PBx owner) containing a much more Verbose explanation about

- PirateBox - History
- Use cases
- some nice pictures
- maybe a File for download including links for later usage (when the user is connected to the net again)

I'm using my PirateBox for sharing files on Camps (Images, packages, fixes), CreativeCommon stuff like books & music.
I'm collecting pictures via upload form.

And what you do else?
Whiteboard / pinBoard for a local area for offering / buying used things.

There is a wild field of use cases.. on the last PirateBoxCamp we had around 1,5 hour discussion about DIY Networks.

Matthias

This is only my signature.
July 22, 2014 06:20PM
I like the idea of cc books as well.

I might run with the my idea of smaller but featured packed linux distros.
any other ideas

on my pb i have the python forum (forest) and an icecast server setup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2014 06:21PM by dfist45.
August 12, 2014 10:07PM
I like the idea of an explanatory file, something like a .pdf that explains what the piratebox inititative in the context of the government-monitored interwebs that we know today.

I've built two boxes so far, the first being on an old netboox that I had and wasn't using for anything. I've got a bunch of texts regarding information security and some how-to stuff that was easy enough for anyone to really do. My second box is from an Andriod phone that I'm no longer using since I upgraded to a Nexus, and I know a guitarist and a drummer who don't know how they can promote their band in new ways, so I've asked them to collect a few songs that they think represent their respective bands style of music. So I carry the android box with me most places so I can share some good music if ever I'm sticking around someplace for a while.

I want to make a box from my Raspberry Pi, but that will have to wait until I can get compatible components. Right now I'm trying to set up a community box that I can permanently set up in the townhouse complex where I live. I don't think I'm going to populate that box with much other than the how-tos, I want to see if the community will notice or even use the box.
August 13, 2014 03:50PM
Checkout [piratebox.cc] to get more sources and ideas what to share.
The stuff we linked is so far CC stuff, allowed being shared.

If you have any other ideas and links about CC stuff, let us know

Matthias

This is only my signature.
@Matthias, here are some ideas you could add to the page at http://piratebox.cc/share

Free Privacy Software
- Tor Browser Bundle install files for Linux/Mac/Windows.
- TAILS live OS images.
- PGP/GnuPG public key encryption programs for Mac/Windows, like GPGTools and Gpg4Win. (Linux systems come with GPG preinstalled.)

If anyone is going to host these files on a PirateBox, they should be kept up-to-date with the latest monthly versions for security reasons, especially the Tor and TAILS ones due to browser exploits. Also consider hosting the corresponding GPG signature files on the PB too (and verifying them if you know how to do so). These programs can be hard to obtain in certain parts of the world due to censorship, but hosting them offline on a PirateBox allows people to get them safely.
December 26, 2014 07:17PM
Great idea, we just added these links to http://piratebox.cc/share