Traveling with a PirateBox: TSA Tip

Posted by cogdog 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Traveling with a PirateBox: TSA Tip
August 21, 2014 06:20AM
I traveled a lot around the US in 2011 with a first version PirateBox in my backpack. In the TSA security lines, it scanned through without problem at some airports, at others they pulled it out to look at it.

Once, in Buffalo, I was trying to explain what it is to a TSA agent (I usually described it as a router used for a public art project) I mentioned it was "based on a technology called 'The PirateBox'" -- mistake! As soon as I said "pirate" 3 more agents swarmed in. They were friendly, but suggested not using the word "pirate" to explain the device.

Your mileage may vary. I will find out again next month, traveling with one to New Zealand.
Re: Traveling with a PirateBox: TSA Tip
August 21, 2014 03:19PM
bad bad "Pirate"

thanks for sharing! thumbs up
August 25, 2014 02:50AM
Thanks - I was just wondering about this :-)
August 26, 2014 09:42AM
Ive never had anyone specifically query me about a MR3040 but would think they would be satisfied if it was described as simply a "wifi access point".

The MR3040 in its original configuration is a common device used by travellers so it would seem unusual that security would single out someone with one in their carryon bags.

I dont think travelling with one should be a concern to anyone. On my last flight (Australia, domestic) the wifi entertainment system was out of service. I turned on mine and had 18 people connect to various resources.....

Campbell
That's a good point; my experience was with the original configuration that had the dockstar router, a separate wireless transmitter and a bulky battery, all in a metal lunch box-- just saying it is a wireless router is not only less suspicious, it is true!