New Piratebox hardware based on openWRT -

Posted by TangoTango 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
New Piratebox hardware based on openWRT -
October 30, 2014 10:07PM

Software pre-installed

Specifications:
• Atheros AR7240 CPU (400Mhz)
• Atheros AR9331 Chipset (integrated wireless)
• BCM70015 BGA Video Processor
• Hardware implementation random number generator for future IPv6 secure meshnet
• 802.11 b/g/n 150Mbps (130Mbps real) wireless power output 20dBm - 100mW
• 802.11 ac internal PCIe Intel 7260) 802.11ac,Dual Band,80MHz, 2x2
• Antenna - dual multi-snowflake koch embedded in the plastic case
• 16 MB flash memory
• 64 MB RAM
• Internal High-Speed hub 4 ports - one used for media 32GB thumb drive
• Internal 8GB microSD root ext3/4
• Powered via internal 5000 mA/h lithium polymer battery 18.5W
• USB output 5V/1A
• Normal operation 100 mA with WiFi/ with external powered WiFi modem 85 mA
• 1x Gigabit Ethernet port / 4x USB 2.0 port for external drive
Serial console on the micro USB connector / charge port (USB serial FDDI)

What we call iVi, is an indieGoGo project promoting a cousin to PirateBox hardware. Keep it in the family. It comes in two versions: the standard openWRT software or the PirateBox version with B.A.T.M.A.N. adv.

For increased distance mesh networking, it has embedded in the case, dual Koch (fractal) antennas.

Currently there are two completed prototypes. We used these in the video and for proof-of-concept. IndieGoGo - project for PirateBox

Here are a couple more keyoints: 2 extra USB ports; 5000mA/h Li-Poly battery; micro-USB port with serial port for development.

Finally about me: Why did I create iVi? While I was living and working in China--for seven years!--everything I did was monitored: SMS messages, emails, phone calls... not to mention being heavily restricted from accessing information outside of China from Google, Yahoo, YouTube... just about everything. So, I created iVi. To JUMP the Great Firewall of China. Also, I wanted to get off the internet - just too many eyes.

You might think, okay, but what are your qualifications? I am an RF Engineer with well over 25 years of experience doing things like having built the largest satellite communications network in the world (still operating today) and the CDMA (PCS Digital) system for North America. Also, was formerly at Bell Labs. I'm not doing this to brag, but to illustrate.

Finally, to make this a community thing, if you buy an iVi, you get $10 off your purchase for every iVi referal that purchases. So its in your benefit to spread the word.

Support iVi for a member of the PirateBox family, so we can really share everything.
Re: New Piratebox hardware based on openWRT -
October 31, 2014 04:21PM
When torrents came out. Cool - easy file-sharing. When pirate box specs came out to build 'em. I though, nice, file-share off-line. Now, iVi is here, pre-built and ready to play around with. For those peps not able, because of time or skills, to build a box. And for those guys who wanna play. Let's see where this tech can go hardware and software wise. Keep on sharing anonymously, like the pirates we are... harr de har harr!
November 01, 2014 01:58PM
About this post:

genedragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When torrents came out. Cool - easy file-sharing.
> When pirate box specs came out to build 'em. I
> though, nice, file-share off-line. Now, iVi is
> here, pre-built and ready to play around with. For
> those peps not able, because of time or skills, to
> build a box. And for those guys who wanna play.
> Let's see where this tech can go hardware and
> software wise. Keep on sharing anonymously, like
> the pirates we are... harr de har harr!

The post is one from the project members of iVi, who seems try some advertising onto this topic (and on reddit using the same text).
If you advertise something about your project, so please do not post like a random strange offering your thoughts.

Statement:
What I can say: David & me are not involved into this project. Until yesterder, we never heart of this project and we hadn't been contacted by the founder of the campaign. Yesterday I got a short PM in the forum, but not containing some real information.
Currently, I don't want to give more feedback about this project.

Matthias

edit: wording fixed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2014 02:02PM by Matthias.
November 01, 2014 02:06PM
Thank you - Our wish is not to offend - rather to build a strong community - Best wishes
November 01, 2014 03:11PM

The main purpose for our project - was not to sell lots of these - the purpose is and was for our greenhouse project - We have 40 acres of greenhouses we need to collect environmental data from and forward the data for analysis.

We could not justify building 10 or 20 units - so we built something we hoped everyone would like. We are very appreciative of the PirateBox project. We based our project on the WR703N - that I bought while lived in China. I hope everyone will enjoy this and thank you all -

The BCM70015 BGA was added for video processing- this way we can collect and process video data for local viewing by our greenhouse teams without affecting network throughput.

The Intel 7260 was added for 802.11ac support and dual antennas to act as a backbone for the B.A.T.M.A.N.-adv meshnet.
November 01, 2014 03:26PM

Unit mechanical desciption -

Please ask questions -
November 01, 2014 03:29PM

These are called snowflake Koch antennas. They are for the iVi backhaul on the meshnet - the are attached to the Intel 7260

The AR9331 antenna for 2.4G is a standard patch antenna for local area connections.
November 02, 2014 12:20PM
Judging from the published information and the behaviour of TangoTanga, and knowledge about other crowdfunded devices recently, I suspect that this is a hoax. I doubt that there ever will be any iVi available for purchase.

I admit that I may be wrong. Actually I hope that I am wrong. But I will not part with any money on the basis of what I know now.

I encourage TangoTango to get a working device, possibly using a software based prototype on a mock-up, to a reputable computer network gadget testing website, for a preliminary review. Or make the software based prototype downloadable for anyone to test on their laptop.

Since the project is based on open source, the iVi will have to be an opensource project as well. To me the software is much more interesting than the hardware.

Is the current software for the iVi available for download somewhere?
November 17, 2014 12:35PM
Hello,
I just found piratebox and I'm really happy to see someone is still exploring this freifunk idea on a different scope.

To me, the iVi HW looks very tempting, esp. due to the dual WIFI inetrfaces. NoPiracyHere, can show me examples of similar, previous hoaxes? I haven't been following Open-WRT and its router landscape since a while.
My only objection to iVi would be that their offer sounds almost too good.
Is there any other future HW that is planed to be used with Piratebox - something with dual WIFI interfaces for proper meshing?

TangoTango, which interfaces will the video processor expose? Is there further documentation on HW details?

I hope to find time to play with and eventually help developing the batman part of piratebox soon.
November 17, 2014 05:34PM
@Hoaxes -- it seems that Anonabox is MAYBE scam. The problem about scam is, you only really know if you was caught by the trap.
November 17, 2014 05:52PM
The video process is a hardware implementation for web streaming - similar to if you added a BCM70015 to an Apple TV box. This off loads the video processing from the AR9331.

The AR9331 is a fast for routing but when trying to use it for video streaming it has insufficent processing power to translate files formats.

This is how the Intel 7260 is connected - The USB data pins are connected to a GL850G USB hub IC running at 12MHz. Simple and supported by the base software of openwrt.

None of the parts are expensive if you source the pieces from China - (I was in manfacturing in China over seven years). To see how low cost parts are - try this on taobao.com it is like Ebay in North America but for the Chinese market. [s.taobao.com] divide the listed prices by 6.12 to get US Dollars.

We are not doing this to make a ton of money - look up the project founders - main purpose is to fund a low cost network for our own needs here in Alberta.

Feel free to ask questions -
iVi Team

Reference documentation
BCM7015 datasheet - [www.dropbox.com]
Intel 7260HMW - [ark.intel.com]
Intel 7260 802.11ac for - [www.dropbox.com]
AR9331 - [www.dropbox.com]
GL850G USB hub - [www.dropbox.com]
iVi Block diagram - [www.dropbox.com]
November 18, 2014 02:38AM
Where is the open source software repository for the iVi? It would be very interesting to see what you have running on the prototypes!

Please provide a link. Perhaps there are some that want to help develop it? Or perhaps the PirateBox project could benefit from the mesh-code in the iVi? Also it would make it more convincing that the iVi really is an actual project and not just a hoax/scam/fraud.
November 20, 2014 12:52AM
I tried — and obviously failed — to buy an Anonabox.

I want to point out that "Anonabox" wasn't a "scam", actually. It was three guys who set out to raise $7500 to build out 150 units for hobbyists like themselves, and they went overboard in their "marketing claims", something Kickstarter pretty much demands that you do to get attention.

Any Kickstarter which gets oversubscribed 8000% is in serious trouble, and this one was no exception. Instead of something that could be done by three guys as a cottage industry — hell, I could knock off 150 PirateBoxen in a long weekend — now it's three guys looking at over half a million dollars, 30,000 units, and in the position of needing to set up an actual company to supply-chain, manage and fulfill all of that without bankrupting themselves or winding up in court in the process.

Now, in that context, a pile of trolls — not as many as it appeared, since there was a lot of sock-puppeting going on — sailed in and absolutely destroyed the reputation of the poor silly sod who was dopey enough to attach his name to the project. The other two guys involved flat-out refused to allow themselves to be identified, for reasons that I thought were pretty obvious.

Every rule, and every guideline for users on Kickstarter got broken in the course of the Anonabox fracas. I expressed dismay over what was going on, and got doxxed no fewer than three times in two day (not that I care, particularly, but that's scarcely the point).