Solar Power Pack for PirateBox?

Posted by p74 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
p74
Solar Power Pack for PirateBox?
November 05, 2014 04:41PM
Hi all,

Anyone know of a reliable Solar Power Pack that won't fry my Pirate Box. I've read that a 5V output is good - but also that you can't just use any Power Pack that outputs 5volts.

Anyone know? Would something like this work? powerpack

p74
Re: Solar Power Pack for PirateBox?
November 05, 2014 07:14PM
You can use any powersource that outputs 5 volts smooth DC if your PB run off 5V, for instance USB. That means any decent powerpack that outputs 5 volts.

However there may be some powerpacks that have problems with charging at the same time as they supply 5 volts. I would not assume that would be a problem with the pack you linked to. However there is a lot of junk batterypacks and (especially) solar chargers batterypacks out there. Don't buy anything without first reading a good independent review.

I don't think a solar charger of the size you show is even close to be able to power a PB continuosly. Accordning to the spec it provides 180 mAh. I assume that is wrong unit, and they meant 180 mA. A TL-MR3040 consumes about 400-500 mA. So the solar charger you suggested isn't even enough in full sunshine, never mind spare power for cloudy days or nighttime. However, the power needed may depend on how many are connected.

For continuous use 24/7 you need a bigger solar panel, and a bigger powerbank. Much bigger if it sometimes is overcast where you live. Perhaps a 10W solar panel might be enough in a very sunny place, but 20W would be better.

I have a Coolook iPower with 4 x Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh batteries. Enough power for at least 20-24 hours. I haven't timed it though. Could be longer.

[lygte-info.dk]
[lygte-info.dk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2014 07:18PM by NoPiracyHere.