Using Retroshare as PirateBox Software

Posted by csolus 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Using Retroshare as PirateBox Software
February 02, 2015 12:37PM
Hi,

It seems to me that there is a strong opportunity of using Retroshare to communicate with a piratebox.
Basically RS is a secured F2F software that provides file transfer, forums, channels, distributed chat and messaging. That would need:

1 - replacing the piratebox web app by a Retroshare key server. Once you upload your RS key, the key server basically accepts you as friend in the RS network. See one example of a RS key server here: [retrosharechatserver.no-ip.org]
2 - running RS on the pirate box. RS has been successfully ran on Raspberry Pi already.

Once connected, you'd benefit from the advanced file transfer, chat, messages, forums, etc provided by the software, and do this without the risk of being evesdropped.

Because a RS node is just a node in a potentially big mesh, that would make it possible to connect multiple pirateboxes toghether to allow swarming, etc.

It's also quite possible to develop a RS plugin to allow pushing data to the PirateBox in case someone wants to deposite files as well.

Any thoughts about this?
Re: Using Retroshare as PirateBox Software
February 02, 2015 04:58PM
@csolus - this is an interesting idea. A few quick comments...

RetroShare allows you to connect with other peers connected to the same local network (LAN) which means you could use a PirateBox to host an offline network (this is already what it does) and then connect with other peers on the network who are running RetroShare on their devices (e.g. running on their notebooks).

Once connected, you'd benefit from the advanced file transfer, chat, messages, forums, etc provided by the software, and do this without the risk of being evesdropped.

Yes, though you would only be able to use these services with other clients who are running RetroShare and with whom you have shared keys with. The advantage of the PirateBox is that anyone with a web browser can join the network and share files, chat, use the forum (image board), etc. with anyone else on the PirateBox network.

Because a RS node is just a node in a potentially big mesh, that would make it possible to connect multiple pirateboxes toghether to allow swarming, etc.

Well, not exactly. Because the PirateBox doesn't connect to the Internet, the size of the "swarm" would be limited to the number of local RS clients connected to the local PirateBox network.
February 03, 2015 08:11AM
I'm actually a bit frustrated by some of the limitations of the PB software at the moment, in particular there's no way you can know the status of a file transfer. For large files it's a problem. That was the case when I made my own PB 1 year ago. Maybe there is such a feature in the latest version now?
February 03, 2015 10:10AM
csolus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm actually a bit frustrated by some of the
> limitations of the PB software at the moment, in
> particular there's no way you can know the status
> of a file transfer. For large files it's a
> problem. That was the case when I made my own PB 1
> year ago. Maybe there is such a feature in the
> latest version now?
In our development build we are testing a new jQuery uploader and we are searching UI/UX designer, that helps us to integrate that jQuery-Uploader to our frontpage. It is still at a very early stage.
That jQuery-Uploader shows progress, is faster and more comfortable.
February 03, 2015 03:48PM
darts Wrote:

> Yes, though you would only be able to use these
> services with other clients who are running
> RetroShare and with whom you have shared keys
> with. The advantage of the PirateBox is that
> anyone with a web browser can join the network and
> share files, chat, use the forum (image board),
> etc. with anyone else on the PirateBox network.

Actually no: you don't need to share keys to participate into decentralized forums/channels/chat. Anyone who makes friend with the piratebox'RS node would see posts and would be able to chat from/with everyone else.

However, I agree that the need to install a software is quite a limitation.
February 03, 2015 04:37PM
unfortunately the Mesh implementation of PirateBox is neither stable not yet ported to RaspberryPi (or other Linux systems). It is an interesting opportunity, to be honest--- even it doesn't directly fit into the PirateBox topic itself, because a user needs the additional client.
Maybe you can reuse the functionality/scripts we are working on...

Question: Does RS a peer local within the same (IPv6) broadcasting group? That would be the requirement to work on the PirateBox Famework.

regards Matthias

This is only my signature.
February 04, 2015 01:18PM
Matthias Wrote:

> Question: Does RS a peer local within the same
> (IPv6) broadcasting group? That would be the
> requirement to work on the PirateBox Famework.

I don't understand your question. Can you please ellaborate a little bit?
February 04, 2015 01:33PM
I'm refering to this part and I ignore the fact about the key server in this evaluation:

> Question: Does RS a peer local within the same
> (IPv6) broadcasting group? That would be the
> requirement to work on the PirateBox Famework.

Does RetroShare a local peer discovery like others software to (to find faster paths to this nodes)?
Does RS always ask against the Internet?
If it can make use of a local peer discovery, how is it achieved?

After reading further, some more questions?
Is a keyserver always required? Which node should work as a keyserver in a completely offline network? Expect that all nodes work like equal partners.

Do you talk about mesh networking of the PirateBox nodes?
Or only having one PirateBox node and others connect as normal clients to it?

Sorry, maybe I'm not getting 100% into the point... but I'm interested into the idea- I'm trying to draw a picture how it should/would work alike.
In my mind it looks like, PirateBox-Software running on the RPi opens the connectivity to enable RS nodes connecting each other through a bigger wifi network.

edit:
some blogpost about settings that could be interesting to know: [sleeplessbyte.com]

This is only my signature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 02:24PM by Matthias.
February 05, 2015 08:39AM
Matthias Wrote:

>
> Does RetroShare a local peer discovery like others
> software to (to find faster paths to this nodes)?

Yes. If you enable it (it is by default) RS makes you see friends of your friends. So you can make friends with them although it is not automatic.

Besides, you don't necessarily need to be friend with someone in order to echange data (files, chat, forums, etc). You just need to be connected by a chain of friends. A system of tunnels connects distant peers toghether for all sorts of data exchanges.

So if two persons are both connected to the same pirate box, they will be able to chat using the distributed chat system (known as "chat lobbies" in the software).

>
> Does RS always ask against the Internet?

no. It works perfectly in a LAN.

> After reading further, some more questions?
> Is a keyserver always required? Which node should

no. You can make friends by manually exchanging certificates with someone. Usually people exchange keys when they meet in the distributed chat. A system of html links helps with that matter. With a single click you can make a new friend.

> work as a keyserver in a completely offline
> network? Expect that all nodes work like equal
> partners.

If you run a keyserver on the PB, then all nodes can talk to each others using decentralised services. They can make friend as well, but it's not necessary.

>
> Do you talk about mesh networking of the PirateBox
> nodes?

Yes, but that would need the PB to have 2 wifi devices. One for connecting to another PB, and one for broadcasting a Wifi network.

> Or only having one PirateBox node and others
> connect as normal clients to it?

That's the simple case.

> In my mind it looks like, PirateBox-Software
> running on the RPi opens the connectivity to
> enable RS nodes connecting each other through a
> bigger wifi network.

yeah.

>
> edit:
> some blogpost about settings that could be
> interesting to know:
> [sleeplessbyte.com]
> e-network-configurations/

Cool! I didn't know that blog.

The RS devs also have a dev blog with some useful info:
[retroshareteam.wordpress.com]
February 11, 2015 03:00PM
dear all,

i guess i found it on reddit. i am a PirateBox User WR703n/Pi and RetroShare User for few years now.

Once i had the idea to run a RetroShare Chatserver on a Raspberry Pi and run also a PirateBox on the same device.
Just bridging the PirateBox Chat with a certain Chatroom. Similar like the RetroShare-IRC Bridge is connecting a Freenode Channel with a RetroShare Chatroom.
And if Files are Uploaded to the PirateBox, they should be hashed, shared and automatically posted to an "uploaded" chatroom and linked in this chatroom. So an uploaded file to a PirateBox would be instantly available to a broader connected Swarm of users.
[github.com] RetroShareChatBot
[github.com] SolferinoChatBot
[github.com] otherChatBot
These Bots use RPC interface for communication to RS-nogui and python to connect to Freenode, and i haven't used them yet. But the first one is named HUGO and is always online at #retroshare IRC

Also Chatrooms could be synced between Piratebox and RetroShare Forums. I have already seen a RS-Forum-to-Web Bridge.

But with RS-Social Plugin, it should be possible to use a JSON over http API which should make it easier.

So i haven't started because RPC seems to fade out and v0.6 is not yet released.
v0.6 is under heavy development and is getting a big rewrite in the Backend, especially the content exchange (IM, Mail, Forums, Channels, Chatrooms) is being improved.

$username is starting to add IPv6 connectivity

If someone needs advice to run a ChatServer or any questions about it, feel free to contact me.
This is mine RetroChat@D084EAAD7A00DF6E available at [retrochat.piratenpartei.at]
Both public Chatservers are connected.

--------------------

The WebForum of RetroShare at SourceForge seems to be outdated and undead, but the project isn't. All the discussion stuff is handled inside already. Chatrooms and forums
The project is active and in steady development.

The last post on the DevBlog is from OCT, 2013 ,this seems to be long time ago... but please have a look at my comment [retroshareteam.wordpress.com]
and [www.reddit.com]

------------------------------

Regarding the questions from Mathias:

>Does RetroShare a local peer discovery like others software to (to find faster paths to this nodes)?
RetroShare uses Turtle Routing.
[retroshareteam.wordpress.com]
[en.wikipedia.org]
you need a chain of friends to reach the target file.
Connections are only done to peers/friends only, BitTorrent connects to all with the target file. Peers need to be added manually. This counters the German "Störerhaftung" or French Hadopi.

>Does RS always ask against the Internet?
no
>If it can make use of a local peer discovery, how is it achieved?
Peer discovery is done by asking all friends about their friends. There was a rewrite from v0.5 to v0.6 as far as i know.
And RS does perform a DHT lookup for changed IP addresses and for STUN servers.

>After reading further, some more questions?
>Is a keyserver always required?
No, ChatServers are just community sideprojects for bootstrapping. They are not part of the project officially.
[retrochat.piratenpartei.at] INFO
You can always use RetroShare without Chatservers.
Please do not call them KeyServers (like PGP Keyservers), they are just reduced RetroShare nodes with a WebInterface for adding keys and availability to exchange chatrooms. All File Sharing/DHT/Discovery/Forums/Channels is actually disabled for both public chatservers. They just connect Newbies to chatrooms where they can exchange certificates and become friends.
[retrochat.piratenpartei.at] 15-pic step by step guide to know how a chatserver works

>Which node should work as a keyserver in a completely offline network?
I don't understand the question. KeyServers
>Expect that all nodes work like equal partners.
In my idea a PB could act as a ChatServer and FileShare DeadDrop for a RetroShare network. no matter if it is LAN-only or connected to others via Internet uplink

>Do you talk about mesh networking of the PirateBox nodes?
dunno, i guess i am not... but maybe...
>Or only having one PirateBox node and others connect as normal clients to it?
this would fit my idea

>Sorry, maybe I'm not getting 100% into the point... but I'm interested into the idea- I'm trying to draw a picture how it should/would work alike.
I hope i have dumped mor information for your picture or possibilitys.

In my mind it looks like, PirateBox-Software running on the RPi opens the connectivity to enable RS nodes connecting each other through a bigger wifi network.
>yes, running some special ChatServer/DeadDrop/PB combination on something like a Raspberry Pi, with two interfaces. being able to connect to the piratebox from outside via network and RetroShare, and being able to connect viw WiFi to PirateBox and RetroShare.

br cave

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2015 03:08PM by cave.