Wireless devices won't connect to laptop piratebox wifi network with fresh Ubuntu install

Posted by Darkskynet 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Hello all grinning smiley

So i got everything installed after following the laptop install tutorial, but i have a problem...

Everything appears to have installed correctly and i can see the WiFi network being made by the piratebox laptop. But none of my devices will obtain an IP address from it. I am guessing something is wrong with the DHCP lease for clients but i am unsure.

Would love some help with this, Thanks everyone grinning smiley
Re: Wireless devices won't connect to laptop piratebox wifi network with fresh Ubuntu install
February 09, 2015 06:49AM
Hi,
when you say, you use Ubuntu did you disable & stop the dnsmasq service?
The damn thing on Ubuntu and Debian is, that they start&enable the installed daemon during installation. (enable means that it will be started during system start).

If dnsmasq doesn't work with the delivered&generated configuration done by PirateBoxScripts, usually another instance of that program is already running.
To verify it, you can run while PirateBox is not started
ps -ef  | grep dnsmasq

So check if you get some output.

regards Matthias
after running
ps -ef  | grep dnsmasq
I do indeed see that dnsmasq is running on computer startup..

after running
sudo kill <process number> 
on the process I then start piratebox using
 sudo ./opt/piratebox/init.d/piratebox start 
and it works fine smiling smiley

I found how to remove the dnsmasq from startup from here

http://askubuntu.com/questions/63131/where-is-dnsmasq-started-and-configured
The dnsmasq startup script is /etc/init.d/dnsmasq. It's called by symlinks from the /etc/rcX.d/ directories, for example: /etc/rc2.d/S15dnsmasq

If you don't want it to start, you can edit /etc/default/dnsmasq and change "ENABLED=1" to "ENABLED=0" which will tell it not to run in daemon mode. and not start on computer boot.

Thanks so much for a quick reply grinning smiley

PS: I found a issue with the imageboard install. There is a file called forum.html in the directory /opt/piratebox/www that links to /board when it should link to /board/index.html

Without this change the forum link at the top of the piratebox pages links to the folder and shows the contents of /opt/piratebox/share/board instead of going to the board home page at index.html

I can provide screenshots if needed upon request.

Cheers, Darkskynet grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 08:03AM by Darkskynet.
Re: Wireless devices won't connect to laptop piratebox wifi network with fresh Ubuntu install
February 09, 2015 08:04AM
Hi,
thanks for the quick feedback.
The problem with the forum.html is, it is obsolete and not used for the URL at the top menu sad smiley

But thanks smiling smiley

regards
Matthias