Reflashing with a USB stick

Posted by Raikken 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Reflashing with a USB stick
February 10, 2015 05:07AM
I have a TPL 3040 v. 2 and lost the flash drive. I have tried to follow the instructions on how to reflash and have a few questions about the process. I can ping and telnet into my device. My questions are do I put the openWRT file and the pirate box file on the usb at the same time from the beginning, or do I start with just the openWRT file?

My next question revolves around the filename I am to put in. I do not quite understand what file name to enter. I did just notice I failed to put the brackets around the filename and perhaps that had something to do with it? I messed around for a while in my ignorance and just am not getting beyond that point.

Thanks for your help.
Re: Reflashing with a USB stick
February 10, 2015 09:18AM
I did some more looking around and found a Librarybox forum which discussed this issue. There were more step by step instructions and they varied a little.

Start with just the openWRT file on the usb and telnet in to the router.

cd /mnt/usb
mtd -r write YOUR-FIRMWARE-FILE-NAME-HERE firmware

Firmware will flash in minutes. When complete shut the router off and install the piratebox install file onto the root of the USB. But USB back in router and turn on. Within 10 minutes or so you should see the piratebox wifi come on and you are done. Piratebox up and working again.

Some clearer instructions on the piratebox site may help future users.

Thanks for your work
Re: Reflashing with a USB stick
February 10, 2015 10:29AM
Raikken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did some more looking around and found a
> Librarybox forum which discussed this issue.
> There were more step by step instructions and they
> varied a little.
>
> Start with just the openWRT file on the usb and
> telnet in to the router.
>
> cd /mnt/usb
> mtd -r write YOUR-FIRMWARE-FILE-NAME-HERE
> firmware
>
> Firmware will flash in minutes. When complete
> shut the router off and install the piratebox
> install file onto the root of the USB. But USB
> back in router and turn on. Within 10 minutes or
> so you should see the piratebox wifi come on and
> you are done. Piratebox up and working again.
>
> Some clearer instructions on the piratebox site
> may help future users.
>
> Thanks for your work

Hello,
have you checked out the official uide at http://www.piratebox.cc/openwrt:diy#upgrade_piratebox

It literally explains step by step what you have written down in your post.