PirateBox Questions

Posted by ysage 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PirateBox Questions
February 28, 2015 05:10PM
Hello,

I am interested in creating a pirate box but I had a few questions first.

1.) Can PirateBox be used outside of the browser. I have apps like BitTorrent Sync. Would I be able to use two devices with pirate box internet? Could I also use the internet with playing mobile games? ( Games that you can play multiplayer with other people on the network?

2.) Can I use a 64GB or 128 GB usb stick? or a external hard drive?

3.) Can you create additional HTML pages with Piratebox? Like to include download links of apps that I uploaded? Could I organize my pirate box uploads into folders and display the folders on the pirate box website?

4.) How much battery should I buy? Would 20,000 MAH last a long time?

These are the questions I needed help answering. Thanks,
Sage
Re: PirateBox Questions
March 01, 2015 08:37AM
A PB is pretty techie stuff. It helps a lot if you know about networking, wifi, web, USB, computers and linux. Otherwise you may find that anything except using the default settings is too difficult to figure out. So what you can and cannot do really depends on you, and what you are willing to learn. Not the PB as such. The PB can be modified to do what you want, if you have the right skills. Howver, modify it enough and it is no longer a PB.

1. Most if not all of the functionality of PB is through a browser. You could say that the PB is a webserver that is not connected to the internet. You can install and run other services as well. FTP for instance. A feature of PB is that it is not connected to the internet. So while you connect to the PB you can't connect to the internet. It is possible to make the PB into a more normal webserver, that attach to a network that also has access to the internet. But then I don't think that it is a PB anymore...

2. What memorysticks you can use is depending on your device. If your device supports them, they most likely will be able to be used by the PB. However you may need to repartition, reformat, copy and configure in order to make it work.

3. Yes. It is possible. Just like you can add, edit and remove pages from any webserver, and program and reconfigure the webserver to do what you want. However, if you have to ask this question, I assume that you may find it difficult at the beginning. Then it becomes easier.

4. That depends on your device. I would recommend that you don't buy any battery at all at the start, and try to get things working as you want it when attached to the mains. Assume that your device, a small router, consumes 0.5 A. That would mean that it could run around 40 hours from a 20,000mAh battery. (20/0.5=40)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2015 08:45AM by NoPiracyHere.
Re: PirateBox Questions
March 02, 2015 02:46AM
Thank you for your speedy reply.

Here are a few things that I wanted to do with the PirateBox.

1.) Link to a couple small Java games in separate HTML Pages

2.) Try to upload Ghost to the pirate box or find a way for it to be accessed on the Piratebox Network. (It is a blogging platform). Then those who are connected to the network can access it.

3.) be able to share files.

Those are the main features that I hope to be able to use if I was to go ahead with the piratebox option.