5V USB Power Source?

Posted by chris137s 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
5V USB Power Source?
March 12, 2015 11:40PM
Will this work with the TP-LINK MR3040?
What power source would you suggest? I want something relatively cheap, yet can last for a few hours at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2015 11:41PM by chris137s.
Re: 5V USB Power Source?
March 13, 2015 09:43PM
You should get a few hours from the built in battery, without any external power source. Using a good external powerbank you get perhaps a day.

A simple USB charger is the cheapest, and you get unlimited runtimes...

Make sure not to buy a powerbank that hasn't been independently tested by someone you trust. Especially regarding capacity. Don't believe the manufacturer! Many powerbanks are marketed using flagrant lies and fraud. For instance there is no way for you to figure out the actual capacity of the powerbank you linked to. Is it 20000mAh at the 5 volts output or is it only 20000mAh at 3.6 volts of the cells? That would mean either 72Wh or 100Wh, if that can be trusted. (I don't trust it.) "Grade A battery cells" doesn't say anything at all. If it really is grade A, why not brag and say exactly what brand and cells they use? I wouldn't buy that...

Here is one *very* reliable site when it comes to reviews of batteries, USB chargers and powerbanks: [www.lygte-info.dk]

I bought an empty DIY powerbank on e-bay, Coolook PB-2000, that had decent reviews, and added 4 top quality high capacity Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh cells to it. Almost 49Wh. Simple and functional.

I also have a "Ruinovo 402 1A/2.1A 4*18650 Dual USB Mobile Power Pack Battery Charger" from Fastech.com, also with 4xPanasonic NCR18650B cells. Smaller than the Coolook, but is heavier and was more expensive. A little difficult to assemble, but I prefer it to the Coolook.

Here is the Coolook, an SSD HD and my TP-LINK MR3040:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2015 09:50PM by NoPiracyHere.
March 14, 2015 08:43PM
Thank you so much for the feedback! That picture is awesome!
Well after consideration, I think I might go with this setup: (Tell me what you might add or subtract from it)

This Intocircuit 11200 mAh battery pack

With the TP LINK MR3020

And this Leef Surge Low Profile 64GB USB 2.0
--
or maybe my Transcend 2TB External??

I know how you were saying that a lot of batter pack brands lie about capacity etc, but I'm not the best at soldering and puting circuitry type stuff together. I'm on the hunt for something like this:

An external battery pack that will power the MR3020 for at least 5-6 hours or a maybe a day,
That doesn't break the bank,
Is pre-assembled (or very easy to assemble),
And fits with the size of the 3020, (not a brick)...

IDK If that's possible, but from what you said, it looks like maybe you could help??
Like I said, I'm no soldering/circuitry master...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 08:49PM by chris137s.
March 15, 2015 12:35PM
Try to find some site that you trust that have recent reviews of USB powerbanks, and pick a powerbank that have good reviews. Then figure out where to buy it.

Otherwise you will have better than 50% chance of buying expensive junk...

You might consider just getting the MR3040 instead. And try using it with the built in battery. That might be sufficient for you? You'll get at least 2 hours (more likely 3-4 hours) use in an extremly compact form-factor. Or at least start there. If needed you can get a powerbank later.

For 5-6 hours use you don't need a big battery bank. 6000 mAh (2x18650 cells) will be more than enough.

The DIY powerbanks I suggested don't need any soldering. The Coolook only need the batteries inserted, a switch pressed, and the lid snapped closed. The Ruinovo was more difficult. It needed 8 small screws fastened while the enclosure was held closed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 12:37PM by NoPiracyHere.
March 15, 2015 08:49PM
My MR3040 lasts for up to 6 hours, if I remember correctly.

I encountered another issue in the combination MR3040 & external battery: The MR3040 can't recharge the internal battery while it is up and running. So the internal battery is empty befor the external, which maybe results into other issues.

NoPiracyHere can you confirm that on your setup? Please let me know.

I recommend the MR3020 (better GL-iNet) over the MR3040, because you can add a more complex charging logic. Inside the Mr3040 you can't get information about the battery status and can't do something like stopping the box in time.