Hello everybody

Posted by Andros 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Hello everybody
March 15, 2015 04:04PM
Hello everyone:

My name is Andros, co-founder of an ethical hacking and security community.

Not long ago I acquired a piratebox and I would like to know which kinds of encryption it has avaliable and if they can be changed by the user. Also I would like to know which linux distribution is this project based on.

I hope I might be of help with suggestions for this device in the future.

Thank you very much and regards.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 04:56PM by Andros.
Re: Hello everybody
March 15, 2015 07:17PM
As far as I know, a PB is not encrypted at all. The idea is that it should be easy to connect to, without having to negotioate any keys at all. And the PB is not connected to the Internet at all. Just avialable locally in a crowd or gathering over wifi, without hardly any security at all!

I am not sure if there is a need for any encryption, what it would be used for?

However, if the PB evolves to a mesh node that recieve, transmit and route data between several nodes, and perhaps over the internet as well, then there will be need to have more secure connections and encrypt data.
March 15, 2015 08:43PM
No, unfortunately we don't have an encryption of the disc. The tiny router based version is running OpenWrt, which doesn't offer the transparent file encryption, which name I can't remember now. In addition, the tiny router have only 400Mhz, so encryption wouldn't help the poor performance very much winking smiley

The raspberry image is based upon ArchLinux and the scripts where originally written on Debian.

PirateBox doesn't store any logfiles, only a DHCP-leasefile is left on the disk on the Raspberry-Image. On OpenWrt it is located in the RAM. (while writing this, I think placing this file into tmpfs (RAM based) of ArchLinux should be possible, too).
March 23, 2015 11:12AM
Hi again!

I have one mr2040 tplink router and my friend another.

I would like know Mattias how i can configure and also use mesh with the two devices, can you give me or explain the stetps that i need to follow for enable it?

Thank you very much for your support and atendance.
March 23, 2015 07:26PM
Hey,
you should try out the latest development version of Piratebox, which you can find here: [development.piratebox.de]

It includes the mesh scripts.

After you installed it (use the upgrade howto), you need to follow this thread

This is all experimental, and is not a peer to peer replication solution.
regards Matthias