Comcast user: "manual" PB install went fine. Imageboard failed to install properly.

Posted by damavox 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Comcast user: "manual" PB install went fine. Imageboard failed to install properly.
April 09, 2015 07:22AM
I am creating this thread for the purpose to show comcast users how to manually install PB in a non-mr3020/3040 router and to troubleshoot an issue with installing the image board.

First i went to google and searched for a free page proxy
One of the first results was [www.proxy4free.com] . This site provides a directory listing of page proxys with most recent uptimes. I choose the first one in the listing and entered the address to download the auto install files from [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de]

I then formatted my usb drive to fat32 unzipped the install_piratebox.zip file and moved the install folder to the usb drive. Then safely removed it from my pc.

now onto the router...

First i made sure i had a fresh install of openwrt by booting in to failsafe mode and running the
mount_ root
, then
Firstboot

I then plugged in my usb flash drive and proceeded to reboot, turn on wireless and ensure i had an internet connection
ping google.com

I then edited my hosts file:
vi /etc/hosts
And added the mirror link to the hosts file:
5.150.254.141 stable.openwrt.piratebox.de

then ran the following commands in this order:
echo "src/gz piratebox [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de]; >> /etc/opkg.conf 

opkg update

opkg install extendRoot

/etc/init.d/ext init

source /etc/profile

opkg -d ext install extendRoot-piratebox

After you run
opkg -d ext install extendRoot-piratebox
and it finishes the install. It will disconnect you from your PB router and change your /etc/hosts file and you will loose you internet connection.

I reconnect to my fresh PB and check to make sure the install went well. From the homepage everything is working great but i notice that the ImageBoard was not installed.

To install the ImageBoard

While Connected to your router, re-edit the hosts file by adding the above mirror link back to it. It should now look like this:
5.150.254.141 stable.openwrt.piratebox.de
127.0.0.1 piratebox.lan localhost.
192.168.1.1 piratebox.lan
127.0.0.1  .

Now its time to get your internet connection back:
/etc/init.d/piratebox nodns
and to check
ping google.com

and then run
opkg update

From this point i attempt to install the ImageBoard
opkg -d ext install piratebox-mod-imageboard
and once completed I changed my Admin and password to something of my liking.
vi /opt/piratebox/www/board/config.pl

Then i edited my /etc/hosts file and deleted out the mirror link so now my hosts file looks like this again
vi /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 piratebox.lan localhost.
192.168.1.1 piratebox.lan
127.0.0.1  .

Then i rebooted and reconnected to my PB.
opened my browser and went to piratebox.lan/board

and here is were i see an issue it seems that the install was not completed even though the process finished without any errors. Instead of the board page loading i see a indexing of all the Board files.

I took a few screen shots for better representation and explanation.

I installed the media server but have not tested it yet.

Other than the image board issue everything else seems to be working excellent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2015 07:32AM by damavox.
Re: Comcast user: "manual" PB install went fine. Imageboard failed to install properly.
April 09, 2015 05:09PM
hey, that looks like an excellent post!

The thing about the imageboard, which is left. Just klick on "kareha.pl", and then the board is rendered (and places an index.html file to avoid that directory listing).

regards Matthias
Hi Matthias,
I thought the same thing about the imageboard and clicking on "kareha.pl".
Unfortunately what i get instead is taken to page saying this:

Software error:

No ADMIN_PASS defined in the configuration at config_defaults.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at config_defaults.pl line 133.
Compilation failed in require at /opt/piratebox/www/board/kareha.pl line 13.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/piratebox/www/board/kareha.pl line 13.
For help, please send mail to this site's webmaster, giving this error message and the time and date of the error.

Update: I figured out a work around by using a backup /board folder i had from a 0.6.3 install that i replaced my fresh board install folder with, it works perfectly but doesn't exactly solve the issue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2015 04:54AM by damavox.
Re: Comcast user: "manual" PB install went fine. Imageboard failed to install properly.
April 10, 2015 09:28PM
that message means, that you haven't setup the password in your config.pl properly winking smiley
(maybe forgot to remove a leading #)
Is having to remove a # something new since 0.6.3? I don't remeber having to do so in previous builds
Eitherway i'll do a fresh install and double check everything
April 11, 2015 07:37AM
With the update 1.0.1 I introduced removing the # that the imageboard won't run with the unmodified configuration

This is only my signature.
AH gotcha!