Future of PirateBox?

Posted by mnut 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Future of PirateBox?
April 12, 2015 10:29AM
This weekend I had the pleasure of meeting Matthias and attending his workshop at Hacker Hotel (Netherlands) for turning my GL-inet into a PirateBox. Matthias told us that at the moment he is the only one actively working on the PirateBox project.

That made me wonder: what is the future of PirateBox? I mean, let's say that this project is more than just a technical play and has actual social value/impact, how come this value is not turned into at least some money so Matthias and a small team can dedicate themselves fully to the project?

I think more projects are struggling with this and we are struggling with the same type of question ourselves. How to go from a cool hack, turned into an actual valuable thing for society into something that can carry its own weight, that has a sustainable future?

Any ideas on this appreciated.
Re: Future of PirateBox?
April 13, 2015 04:08PM
Hi,
thanks for posting those questions here in the forum.

What is the future of PirateBox?
Technically spoken, with 2.0 the PirateBox should be working against latest OpenWrt release, more modular for building your own software on it and the mesh support is implemented in some way.

But -as far as I can understand- you are mostly focusing on organization questions. I never made any thoughts by myself to flip the projects to a commercial project, because it was never intended to be like this.
I often discuss with friends how to monetize it to pay me something for doing a part-time development (compensating for not sitting at my full-time customer). In my opinion the classic PirateBox customer is price sensitive and wouldn't pay a relevant amount additional to the hardware costs.

how come this value is not turned into at least some money so Matthias
I can say, that I get some money out of the project. First, I participated at a big Kickstarter success for LibraryBox (PIrateBox fork), where we did further development on the system. Those development things came back to PirateBox later (i.e. the automatic installation).
A following contract was done so far for preparing LibaryBox 2.1; some points are still pending in the lack of time on my side.
In addition I'm able to contribute to Aram Bartholl's project called "OFFLINEART", which is a PirateBox fork as well, with a much cleaner focus on artists. There is some reimbursement, too.
Last but not least, If you buy something via our links on Amazon, I'm getting some advertisement fees. Those are enough to pay our AWS cloud for compiling the development builds, our webserver and in the end of the day- i take the rest of the money to by stuff for myself or use bought hardware for doing something like Freifunk Wiesbaden(Nodes MaStr-Freifunk, Rosetta and Philae (temporary online only)).
Overall, it is no big red minus under the line, but doing the PirateBox work is more like a freetime project then a paid work.

But it is not enough to do full time work of it, and I never expect the PirateBox project to be like that.
Last but not least, I don't want to sit at home all day long, develop for myself and talk with my mirror image winking smiley

a small team can dedicate themselves fully to the project?
See last sentence above.
I would be glad to have two or three regular developers, that helps in different ways. It is not like that, that I'm not glad about the irregular contributions- they are great and I'm thankful for that!

Unfortunately, since I'm freelancing around and doing my beside-job study, I can't take much care of the project anymore. And so I became an irregular contributor on this and other projects.

There could be "any room" for creating a framework without the Piratebox stuff in there and turn the Piratebox as a user of that framework. There is a growing offline network community, which have some need for the solutions.

so far for now

This is only my signature.
Re: Future of PirateBox?
April 16, 2015 03:08PM
I actually put some thought into this and I cam up with a possibility to help monetize the piratebox, under different branding of course.
Since you are the one of deserves the income, I am going to pm you the idea to keep from people stealing it.