Live streaming video over piratebox

Posted by Ajroach42 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Live streaming video over piratebox
April 12, 2015 04:54PM
Hello all,

I'm running a raspberry piratebox.

I'd like to be able to stream video out to all connected devices, in real time, so that the video can be synced with Audio playing over a PA. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the closer to real time I can get the stream the better.

I am entirely unfamiliar with video streaming, and wouldn't even know where to start.

Is this something upnp/Dlna can handle?

Is there an existing way to do this on the piratebox?

Where would you recommend I look for more information? (What search terms? is information for live steaming on the Internet going to be more relevant, or information about streaming over LAN?)

Thanks!
This could be a very nice feature.
Re: Live streaming video over piratebox
May 23, 2015 10:07PM
I didn't really understand what you meant "stream from devices". But with the RPi and a connected webcam you can use something like mjpg-streamer. Look into e.g. http://www.slblabs.com/2012/09/26/rpi-webcam-stream/
If it's going through the internet or just WiFi, I am not sure if it makes a difference. I'd say probably not.

Ubuntuhak, playing and tinkering with Ubuntu!
July 16, 2015 06:01PM
definitely look into the program "motion" for rpi, you might be able to link to motion from your PirateBox....not entirely sure though, I haven't thought about this idea until now
August 08, 2015 10:09AM
Hi,

I regularly use my Raspberry Pirate Box to stream video from my hard drive, I even called it my "Mobile Nas Unit".

I did this by enabling minidlna which is UPNP software pre packed in the Piratebox ISO. Then I bought Infuse from the iOS App store because the UI is really clean and nice. But for Android, I recommend ArkMC and whatever 3rd party video player you like, I go with VLC but it shouldn't matter too much.

After some testing I found that on one occasion the audio and the video fell out of sync and there was a slight delay but, exiting the video and going back on it fixed this. Speed wasn't a bottleneck here either.

I used the RPi B 1st Gen with a TP-Link TL-WN822N. That WiFi adapter is pretty much Plug and Play if memory served but there is a guide on how to install it.

Hope this helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 10:10AM by the_walking_tech.
August 10, 2015 05:32PM
This works well for streaming video files, but will it work for a live stream?

If I want to broadcast the same footage out to everyone who decides to watch it (like a TV channel, over wifi) can I?
August 23, 2015 10:16AM
Ajroach42 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This works well for streaming video files, but
> will it work for a live stream?
>
> If I want to broadcast the same footage out to
> everyone who decides to watch it (like a TV
> channel, over wifi) can I?

If you follow e.g. the guide from the above link, the stream will be available at []
So technically you can create an iframe or a new page on your landing site like "Live" and people who visit it will see the live feed.

Ubuntuhak, playing and tinkering with Ubuntu!