ipad and iphone will not play mp4 files regardless of codec

Posted by bullethead67 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
ipad and iphone will not play mp4 files regardless of codec
June 10, 2012 07:42AM
I have tried to re encode with ffmpeg into mp4 h.264 aac format but it will not play when selected from ipad or iphone. i even put a video taken on my iphone on my piratebox and it wont play that either.

My piratebox is running on a laptop running linux mint and im using the script version.

my plans are to convert everything i have to mp4.

I plan on using a ffmpeg script to automatically watch my folder and convert any avi flv etc to mp4 and then everyone here can just click and watch. My problem is the click and watch part. we all use iphones and ipads. but all we get is the crossed out play button.

I was told it may be because of a missing type attribute? unfortunately im not sure though.

has anybody got this working??
Re: ipad and iphone will not play mp4 files regardless of codec
June 10, 2012 09:51AM
I won't recommend an auto-convert, because it is very cpu intensive and this tiny little boxes are slow and have not much resources.
There aren't installed any convert-libaries. too .
June 10, 2012 10:58AM
I am running a laptop piratebox. the auto convert script is on the linux OS.
i7 processor 6 Gigs ram. more than enough to serve and convert.

but it is pointless to do anything until i get the ipad and iphone working playing mp4 files.
June 10, 2012 11:23AM
oh ok- mh.
Maybe then you need to write a task, that (like you described) regular checks the filesystem for new files and run a mencode (or whatever) command. Sorry, I have no experience about that sad smiley

Matthias
June 10, 2012 01:17PM
Its not a codec problem, if you download the app goodreader, you can then save the files to your iphone and watch them at any time.

you choose the option
web download and navigate to the file you want.

cheers
June 11, 2012 12:31AM
I am aware that goodreader works. or actually its a workaround. what is needed is for it to "just work" for everyone without any instruction on how to get it to work.

Is there a way to show .mp4 as content type video/mp4 in droopy without a htaccess file?
We all know that MP4 is a container which is used to store video and audio, but can also be used to store other data such as subtitles and still images. So this format contains various kinds of audio and video codecs. However, iPad has strict limitation on the input MP4 file: only compatible with H.264, MPEG-4 or Motion JPEG video with the following specification:

1. H.264 video up to 720p @ 30 frames per second
- Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

2. MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels @ 30 frames per second
- Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

3. Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels @ 30 frames per second
- Audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

I know a step by step guide on how to convert MP4 to iPad/iPad 2/iPad 3/iPad 4/iPad mini supported video format.
January 29, 2015 01:45AM
Get Handbrake. It has presets suitable for ipads and other devices. And is free.

[handbrake.fr]
February 04, 2015 08:09AM
Here is a step by step guide on how to successfully play MP4 on iPhone.

Hope it will help you more or less.
October 30, 2015 06:25AM
Here's a solution about transferring MP4 videos to iPad. I hope it helps, too.