Please share your PirateBox photos

Posted by darts 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox

In process.
Re: Please share your PirateBox photos
November 07, 2015 10:06PM
I recently launched my first solo exhibition at Birmingham Open Media. It deals with issues of copyright, attribution, authorship and similar topics. I wanted a way for people to share files and PirateBox was the perfect solution! I employed someone to make a casing for them which I called Copy Bombs (taking inspiration from seed bombs)

I changed the appearance of the site to reflect the theme of the exhibition but littered it with references to PirateBox as I didn't want to lay claim to your amazing project! (I thought about adding a link but then remembered it's an offline network!)

Many thanks to the PirateBox developers for developing an awesome project!
Jon
Pi[rate] ZERO is alive!
December 02, 2015 07:16AM
January 12, 2016 11:09AM

Picture link not working, so it's here

I got a Raspberry Pi Zero for my birthday spinning smiley sticking its tongue out so I simply removed the microSDHC from my much bigger Pi Model B+ and put it into the Zero. That's what I call an upgrade!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 02:04PM by petertgarner.
February 08, 2016 11:44AM
My Raspberry Pi2 running PirateBox and powered by a 15.000 mAh PowerBank. smiling smiley
February 23, 2016 08:27AM
How the heck did you get a pi zero?
February 23, 2016 01:59PM
damavox Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How the heck did you get a pi zero?

[www.adafruit.com]

if you can catch them in stock.

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)
March 07, 2016 09:10PM
My TP-Link MR3020 based PirateBox

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 09:13PM by sneakybaboon.
March 10, 2016 01:03AM
I'm 70 years old, not much a software guy, but I was (very slowly) able to get the job done on the first try.
The directions were working pretty well, until I got into the set up menu. But it worked out..
Not too happy with the range of the 3040. We have too many wifi routers around us.

Here's a pic of my 3040 hooked up to a dd-wrt modded router. Experimenting, trying to get more range.

My goal is to get this PirateBox connected up to a good antenna on my 30 foot ham tower.
I think it would be pretty cool if all my neighbors within 150 yards could connect and use..

Cheers,
Rich

Here's the antenna at 30 feet up.. Painted camo green. White was too much of an eye catcher..

Wide beam gives a good signal on both sides, out to about 300 yards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2016 09:06PM by xring.
March 16, 2016 01:07PM

My first setup. Haven't gotten the forum working yet, probably will have to reinstall that portion. Definitely not impressed with the range of it lol, but for something that is made to normally be right beside the computer its using, it is expected to have weak signal and also a stronger signal will draw more power. I have a 3020 that I have yet to install piratebox on, i plan to mod that one with an antenna and large battery source.

My ultimate goal is to find a stable way and cost efficient to power one with solar and plant permanent installations around town.

Used a Raspberry Pi 2 B (I think, I'd need to check), a 3500mAh battery, and the box that the battery itself came in to build this. Looks messy, but works alright.
April 02, 2016 06:50AM
You can always add an external antenna (which you probably already know) here is a pretty good tutorial via pictures, Also you can adjust the rx / tx power levels however this may hurt your device.
April 21, 2016 06:35PM
After many hours of trial and error i've managed to get Piratebox running on the Zsun WiFi SD Card Reader.
All functions are working, including the OpenWrt Luci webpage, although the minidlna needs some tweaking.

Zsun and Piratebox

Luci and Piratebox

Within a separate thread i will post my lab notes smiling smiley
My Zsun Piratebox installation labnotes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 01:28PM by meduza.
[imgur.com]

I set up a piratebox on a MR3020. I modified it to be less scary and more user friendly. I am using it in a camper van. The van has solar power and house batteries so I run this 24/7. It is mounted in the van. I have put a lot of files on the 64Gb USB stick, images, videos, books and a music collection. Plenty of files for entertainment while camping without internet access, and good for the neighboring campers too. I have not used this yet but over last winter when we camped 4 months in the desert in Arizona, it would have been very helpful.

I don't have a data plan and I usually get my videos by going shopping at Wal-Mart, using their public wifi to download youtube videos with my tablet, using TubeMate. Reddit /documentaries usually has a good selection of documentaries to download. The piratebox allows me to upload the videos and then delete them on my tablet, saving storage space on the tablet.

I just finished the configuration today and tested it and everything seems to be working. This will be a very useful device and I thank the developers for putting this together.
TeraMesh
August 04, 2016 07:08AM
Mine its to simple.

>A recycled plastic box.
>One Old pink Android Phone obtained from a local e-waste recycling program.
>Rooted
>Installed the android APP.
>Erase other apps to improve battery life.
>Expand memory to 32GB
>and run the app.

The battery life is more than 16 hours. and downloading speed is about 1.4mb/seg

October 03, 2016 10:47AM
I am testing a larger antenna with the RaspirateBox. It has a USB connector and worked out of the box as it uses the Ralink 3070 chipset. I plan to put this on the roof at some stage (the antenna - not the Pi) smiling smiley

WHOAMI
January 14, 2017 04:33PM

My latest Piratebox

20,000 Ahm battery pack that last for 2.5 days
1TB

Works great so far!
why not a piratebox with a solar charger ?
August 17, 2017 09:00AM
SSSSSSSSSSS
February 22, 2018 01:37AM
deleted content

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 07:06PM by SierraGuard.
April 20, 2018 03:03AM
Im just gana leave this here.

Image is too big for forum

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2018 03:04AM by TheExpertNoob.