Laptop and wrt54g

Posted by exit151 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Laptop and wrt54g
December 02, 2012 04:39PM
Hey all..

I would like to do a sort of hybrid of this project, and wondering if it's been done before to ease my setup/configuration..

I don't want to do a livecd/ucb stick.

I don't want to one of those 'plug computers' with a dd-wrt

I have a regular, but old laptop I want to repurpose along with dd-wrt supported router (wrt54g ftw!). The laptop is currently running Fedora Core 11, and I would like to keep it that way, if possible. At worst case, I suppose I could releaes one of my preferences and do a livecd, but still I'd like it to interact with the dd-wrt, and not rely on an internal wifi card. (The laptop has one, but I intend on the "piratebox", in this case, the piratebriefcase) to consist of the dd-wrt device (again, a wrt54g) with wired etheret going to the laptop, which will hopefully be running the piratebox software.

As an aside - Seems odd that other than livecd's this project never initiated this way (IE a dd-wrt router connected to an actual PC, not a stick/plugcomputer etc) as I'd think it would have been much easier to design around existing PC's? Anyway.. That's what I'd like to do - Has it been done (and made easy for me?) or is it time to get my sleeves rolled up, and start praying!!? smiling smiley If the latter, any advice assistance for a total noob would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

edit: I did read the recent wrt54g post (http://forum.daviddarts.com/read.php?2,5716) but he doesn't mention what method he used to install pb on his laptop, nor any mention of setup/configuration. Like him, I'm not looking to cover the city with a mesh (FYI, not to get in a big debate, but the easiest way to mesh isn't with all the complicated programs/systems mentioned in another related post - It's using a bunch of dd-wrt's and enable them for repeater mode. Pure and simple). I'm just looking to run one pb, unmeshed, with my laptop powering it, and the wrt54g "dd-wrt" router as my AP for the wifi visitors. The router will be tx maxed at 250mw and is already heatsinked, fwiw smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2012 04:57PM by exit151.
Re: Laptop and wrt54g
December 02, 2012 07:25PM
Hi,
that isn't that difficult.
Set your WRT54GL to ip adress 192.168.1.2 and disable the dhcp server.

you use this package on your laptop [github.com]

There is a readme included, let see if this enough for your.
September 28, 2014 07:50PM
I hate digging up such an old topic, but this is about what I'm looking to do. Any newer files to use? I have a Toughbook cf-29 and a WRT54G with DDWRT on it. I'm going to try with just the laptops internal cards, but I ahve a feeling the range may not be that great.
September 30, 2014 06:30PM
Hi,
I recommend using the current beta package [beta.openwrt.piratebox.de]
it already contains a lot of fixes for non-OpenWRT systems.

regards Matthias

This is only my signature.