External Hard Drives?

Posted by pruw 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
External Hard Drives?
May 11, 2011 09:07AM
I've been playing with the thought of setting up a pirate box for quite some time. I have just purchased a Seagate external HD w/ TB memory and a USB interface. I was curious if anyone has used them in their Pirate Box? I've only seen flash drives.

I would really like a pirate box for sharing. I would love to take it to a LAN party and just let it go crazy. I like the idea because it won't stress the network that has the computers that are gaming over the internet.

I really find myself thinking that the majority of my files would be large files(at least 700mb). Anyone have experience with transferring large files over such a setup? How long does it take? What kind of transfer speeds would I stand to expect?

Lastly, I really commend what is going on here. I fully support the idea. Is there anywhere I can see a collection of peoples' Pirate Boxes?
Re: External Hard Drives?
May 11, 2011 02:49PM
For sure you can use a hard-disk instead of an usb stick.
Remember, the partion on the external drive should be FAT32 or (if you don't care) ext3/ext2 - NTFS is not fully supported by linux.

I already uploaded severall linux-images without any problems. The speed depends on the WLAN-card you are using and how many clients a uploading ,)

I don't know about an index-side people listed owning pirateboxes. I know, there is one listed
May 11, 2011 09:06PM
Great news! What kind of speeds do you get in a best case scenario? The only reason I would not build a piratebox is if it made more sense to just carry the external around and transfer manually. It is super keen regardless.

Which Pirate Box setup do you think would make more sense w. the external? The Buffalo router seems to make more sense. Faster speeds and less to deal with. Thoughts?

thanks matthias!
May 12, 2011 04:44AM
Hi,
I think the Buffalo-Router is the best choise (which I haven't tried myself).

Speaking of transmission-speed: Have a try! It should be like normal wlan speed.
Anonymous
May 16, 2011 03:23PM
Is it possible to use the GoFlex Satellite for PirateBox?

More info:
[www.youtube.com]
May 17, 2011 01:32AM
Anonymous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it possible to use the GoFlex Satellite for PirateBox?

The GoFlex Satellite can only serve up to 3 simultaneous users, according to Seagate's sales materials.

It shouldn't be necessary to use special hardware, such as flashed routers or this GoFlex Satellite, to run local wireless servers independent of the Internet. An ordinary router in AP mode attached to a server will do, if the server supplies DHCP, resolves DNS to itself and redirects wireless connections as shown in the Linux Networking notes in the PirateBox wiki.
hi,
sorry for posting to old thread.

I am have TP LINK TL-MR3040 box & WD passport external hardisk.
Now i want the img/bin file to flash TP link device & make wireless media hub.

so can you please share the link for the image/bin file to flash.

Thanks in advance.
July 28, 2015 09:43AM
ATTENTION

If your USB harddrive has it's own power supply then it will be no problem.

However harddrives that are powered over USB they will most likely draw to much power from the PSU/Charger that feeds the pirate box.
So check how much power the drive consumes, add the power that the PirateBox is using. and add some overhead power

Many USB chargers are 1 Ampere or even less , so that said, a 2Ampere charger might do the trick, or use a Powered USB hub with a good PSU.