Future PirateBox Ideas?

Posted by DarkRemedy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Future PirateBox Ideas?
December 30, 2013 06:48PM
I've noticed a couple things that could be improved for the average user that comes to your PirateBox Server. I would gladly help someone develop these ideas, but I don't have all the knowledge to complete these task or the time to learn how. So I'll list some of my ideas below and let me know.

[*] Progress Bar that lists Storage Space/Capacity Available
    [*] Cleaner download page that's more organized and not just plain text
    [*] Virus scan to check each file uploaded to the server to insure safety
    [*] Admin Controls (login from webpage) for easier access on forms, files, chatroom, etc.
    [*] Better Chatroom where you can see individual users who are joined in the room

There's my list I don't know if that's to out there or already created, but let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
DarkRemedy

I just saw AVG has a command line antivirus for linux so maybe we could add that to scan the file uploaded?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2013 06:59PM by DarkRemedy.
Re: Future PirateBox Ideas?
May 09, 2015 05:38PM
Nice list. Found it searching for Antivirus for the Pirate.thumbs up
May 10, 2015 12:18PM
I also seek the posibility of PirateBox administered by that web page I am wholeheartedly with you good luck

French user , my channels youtube
[www.youtube.com]
May 12, 2015 06:22AM
this is an old post but squid and p3scan is already available as ipkg package for an antivirus solution.
You see the problem with antiviruses on piratebox is the PB is made to stay disconnected from the internet. An interent connection is necessary in order to update your virus protection.

Viruses and malware can be encrypted in order to fool virus scanners from picking them up. Without being updated, Antivirus protection will not be able, gather info out the encrypted viruses. Therefore i believe that virus protection is best left up to the end user.

That is not to say that AV protection can not help at all to defend against malicious software but it should be reconsidered for this project.

A better idea would be for an administrator to download, sandbox then scan each new uploaded file through AV software.
May 30, 2015 01:47AM
How about building a client side PirateBox application which would download the most recent AV signature files from the internet when the user is connected to the internet, and then make them available to PirateBox servers which could poll the client to see if the signature file is newer than that on the box? Make the user a kind of sneakernet distribution service to support PirateBox antivirus.
September 14, 2015 10:14AM
Just stumbled upon this thread. I visited my PirateBox yesterdy and noticed that someone uploaded weird .exe files. I would certainly never be dumb enough to run them, but who knows about others. It would be nice if user-uploaded files were placed in a separate folder with a disclaimer concerning their potential safety (particularly for executables).

On the other hand, since I just updated my PirateBox from 0.6 to the current version last week who knows when I'll actually get around to installing a new version if these changes are ever implemented smiling smiley
September 14, 2015 07:12PM
Hey,
we already have this feature. It is optional to enable. Look at OpenWrt-Modifications, Exchange Upload folder tutorial.

best regards

Matthias

This is only my signature.
October 04, 2015 11:44AM
What about ClamAV?
October 06, 2015 05:13PM
I guess that is possible on RPis, but I would it avoid on those small boxes.
And how to update the AV signatures? As soon as the box runs for 1day, it is already outdated.

And the target audience (windows) usually have a AV running, since ages Windows really complains, if you don't have it running.
If I would place malware to a PirateBox, I would have made custom tailored one.. which even doesn't get recognized by AV

What do you think?

Matthias

This is only my signature.
October 29, 2015 02:12AM
bigoud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also seek the posibility of PirateBox
> administered by that web page I am wholeheartedly
> with you good luck

Actually if I'm correct it is not implemented because some of the devices can't handle that much load and most of the administration panels uses PHP and SQL, but the Flat File Design changes the game as it only uses files html, php, css and js so your panel uses .txt to store all the info like passwords and more. Kirby is one of those or it's free counterpart Grav which looks nice and neat too [getgrav.org]