PirateBox works on iOS devices, can't be seen in computer browser

Posted by aeon-lakes 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PirateBox works on iOS devices, can't be seen in computer browser
June 12, 2014 11:03AM
After a day of making a mess of it and having to start over, on the 4th attempt I've got a (mostly) working PirateBox on a TP-Link MR3040. OpenWRT installed and I gave it all night to configure itself. I can ssh in from my computer (a MacBook) and everything seems to work right up until I try:

4. Point your browser to [piratebox.lan] for the first initialisation.

At which point I get 'your computer isn't connected to the internet' from both Safari and Firefox. Same result using my wife's MacBook too. Using Firefox if I type in [192.168.1.1] I can see my PirateBox's webpage but the upload files link is broken. Typing the URL [192.168.1.1] in Safari doesn't do anything, it just times out.

But confusingly the PirateBox serves web pages just fine to any iOS devices connected to it, whatever webpage I try and access, and files in the shared folder are browsable and downloadable.

Anyone any ideas what have I've done wrong?
OK, this is a bit embarrassing ... But I've fixed this.

I'd previously defined alternative DNS servers for our laptops to bypass our slow ISP's DNS servers. I removed the list of DNS servers and now I can see the PirateBox in Safari.