IP resolving but Piratebox.lan does not

Posted by narddawg314 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
IP resolving but Piratebox.lan does not
June 06, 2014 08:11PM
I've seen lots of posts about this, but nothing that is similar to what I have.

I setup a Piratebox on my home network with a reserved IP of 192.168.1.115. Piratebox is still set for DHCP, but the router has .115 reserved for the device. Anyway, I'm able to surf to 192.168.1.115 and see the piratebox page, but once the page is loaded there is a redirect to piratebox.lan and then I get a page load failure. If I hit the "stop" button on the browser before the redirect, I can upload a file, and post to the chat, but any refresh of the page will initiate the redirect to piratebox.lan and a page load error.

I modified the hosts file on my windows laptop and that fixed it from that computer, but any other device still cannot resolve piratebox.lan on my network. I'd be fine with having to surf to the IP and not use piratebox.lan but the redirect is really annoying. any thoughts?
Re: IP resolving but Piratebox.lan does not
June 06, 2014 09:30PM
Hi,
the dns resolution isn't made from the piratebox, it is made from your home router.
In the moment, the PirateBox detects another DHCP server, it stops serving IP-addresses.

What do you want to achieve with your Box in the local network? Do you want to do internet sharing, or what is your idea?

The redirect is only in place, when you get a 404 (not-found) error.

Let me know
Matthias
August 10, 2014 06:47AM
Hi Matthias,

I started having the same problem -- the hostname is not resolved anymore despite DNS cache flushing. Same problem suddenly appeared on OSX and iOS, different machines. Seems to be cause by an issue with the DNS server or DHCP server on the box?
August 10, 2014 11:53AM
MrBlake, Is you box connected to the homenetwork?
What is your environment?
do you have setup a static DNS entry on you ios devices?

Matthias

This is only my signature.
I am having the same kind of issues, I can not telnet or ssh into my device I would be will to pay for help at this point!
no joke I'll send $10 paypal legit!
August 23, 2014 09:32AM
Hi shepbarrick,
as I mentioned above, it is not always possible to help via teamviewer or skype.

I think that your problem maybe be solved with some steps. But before we examine those, some information is needed:

1. Do you see an SSID, if yes "PirateBox - Share Freely" ? Or OpenWrt?
2. Do you see an "install.log" on you USB Stick, can you post it please?
3. Where did you download the files from?
4. Did you left the USB Stick within the PirateBox after the installation was done?

Matthias
I got a little confused with instructions from davids page so as well as those instructions i looked the over as well!
[www.disk91.com]

1. ssid? No, nothing. Phone, laptop, tower do not see it at all.
2. do not see install log on usb drive? does that mean it didnt install ?? if not, what do i do?
3. I downloaded files from original piratebox page for install/setup
4. I am not sure that it completely installed, I am not able to access it via telnet/ssh

files folder "install" is located on thumbdrive 8gb sandisk and i chose the firmware waiting 30-45 mins and then turned off/ back on and now the wireless light blinks and thats where I am now!
Re: mr3040 lights up thats it, the toggle is on 3G/4G
August 23, 2014 08:31PM

I got a little confused with instructions from davids page so as well as those instructions i looked the over as well!
[www.disk91.com]
outdated

1. ssid? No, nothing. Phone, laptop, tower do not see it at all.
2. do not see install log on usb drive? does that mean it didnt install ?? if not, what do i do?
Yes, maybe you downloaded an old image from disk91.com homepage.

3. I downloaded files from original piratebox page for install/setup
piratebox.cc ?

4. I am not sure that it completely installed, I am not able to access it via telnet/ssh
The question is not if you are able to ssh/telnet. The question is, are you correctly connected? Are you sure you are accessing not your homerouter? How did you wire the stuff together? Did you change network config like on disk91's howto?

files folder "install" is located on thumbdrive 8gb sandisk and i chose the firmware waiting 30-45 mins and then turned off/ back on and now the wireless light blinks and thats where I am now!
Sounds valid. But, if there is no install.log, it maybe hadn't found the USB stick (partitioned wrongly)

Matthias