TP-Link MR3040 v2.3 quick question

Posted by Craiglee 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
TP-Link MR3040 v2.3 quick question
October 20, 2014 04:33AM
I managed to flash my device back to a factory firmware. Now I just have one question. Is there a more preferred or solid guide to installing PB on the 3040 v2? I've found quite a few different articles and all of them say different things. For example on this site, it's suggested to stay on 3g setting but on another I've seen it say wisp. Just trying to find what works best, if anyone has a preference. Much appreciated!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2014 07:46AM by Craiglee.
Re: TP-Link MR3040 v2.3 quick question
October 20, 2014 09:52AM
I don't think that it matters, as long as you can access the web interface.
October 20, 2014 01:57PM
The switch doesn't matter.
Where did you stuck last time? What was the issue? How does the install.log look?
October 20, 2014 08:31PM
The first time I used [piratebox.cc] I got to step 7-8. I was installing firmware upgrade I'm using a sandisk cruzer usb stick, formatted correctly. I gave it a good hour just to be sure everything installed correctly but the wifi hotspot never showed up. After the hour had passed I went ahead and telnetted in through putty and openwrt installed successfully but it didn't look like piratebox did at all. The file was still the same, didn't have the _done after it and it wasn't recognizing my usb in /mnt or dev/sda on openwrt. Thinking it might of been my usb at the time, I had an older one but now using the cruzer.
October 21, 2014 03:39AM
Maybe you did download the not from stable.openwrt.piratebox.de ?
In the past, the installation howto was not giving the information, that it is required to use the images provided by us, because they are customized.

Matthias
October 21, 2014 06:35AM
I'm still having similiar issues, Not able to get the files to be recognized on usb. I extracted the install folder and put it in usb and chose correct version of the .bin for my 3040 v2.3 from the website you mentioned.

I looked in /dev and /mnt but haven't seen anything.

dmesg showed this.

[ 868.920000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 872.210000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform

(pretty sure this is when I unplugged it and plugged it back in)

I'm not familiar with ssh commands so I wasn't sure if there was something I could type to make it register.

it appears that piratebox didn't install again as it turned my wifi off during the openwrt firmware upgrade. I went into the network config and changed the disable from 1 to 0 but the name that popped up for the ssid is openwrt

I could be looking in the complete wrong place but I have to say, it's been kind of fun learning all this stuff! I actually managed to get opkg to work correctly. I was getting the error wget returned 1 but I fixed it. felt very accomplished haha.

Thanks for being so patient with me, I appreciate it.
October 21, 2014 06:52AM
I noticed someone having a similiar problem in another post you had helped out on. I tried to manual mount the directory and these are my results. along with 'dmesg | tail -n 10'

root@OpenWrt:/# mkdir -p /mnt/usb
root@OpenWrt:/# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /mnt/usb failed: No such file or directory
root@OpenWrt:/# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on /rom type squashfs (ro,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime)
/dev/mtdblock3 on /overlay type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
overlayfs:/overlay on / type overlayfs (rw,noatime,lowerdir=/,upperdir=/overlay)
tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,relatime,size=512k,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,noatime)
root@OpenWrt:/# dmesg | tail -n 10
[ 19.520000] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): br-lan: link becomes ready
[ 20.910000] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
[ 20.930000] device wlan0 entered promiscuous mode
[ 20.950000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[ 20.950000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[ 20.960000] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0: link becomes ready
[ 21.500000] br-lan: port 1(eth0) entered forwarding state
[ 22.950000] br-lan: port 2(wlan0) entered forwarding state
[ 868.920000] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 872.210000] usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using ehci-platform
root@OpenWrt:/#
October 21, 2014 08:36AM
So there are at least two variables, the switch settings is not one of them.

1. Make sure you use the right image, freshly downloaded from stable.openwrt.piratebox.de.
2. Make sure the USB-memory is working. Test a few different. If you got it cheap from ebay, it might be a fake.

Also I assume that the USB-memory should be present when the 3040 boots? Not sure if it is manditory, but that is how I always do it. I assume that the USB is not hot-pluggable, since it has to be mounted, but I haven't had reason to test.

It would be nice to have confirmation from someone else running on TL-MR3040 V2.3 that they have had success.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2014 08:41AM by NoPiracyHere.
October 21, 2014 09:08AM
on the page for open wrt diy for 1.0 it says "Be sure to use one image from our served files, because they are customized to work together with the install.zip." is that referring to the tar.gz file located here? [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de] or is it just the bin file you are referring to.

From what I am understanding while reading everything.

1. I download install_piratebox.zip and the squashfs factory.bin from [stable.openwrt.piratebox.de]

2. I extract the install_piratebox.zip and move the "install" folder over into the usb, safely remove it, put it in the router, along with ethernet plugged into computer and then turn router on

3. go to 192.168.0.1 and do the firmware upgrade with the file I previously downloaded

from that point, it seems like most people have piratebox ssid show up during install but it never does for me. Openwrt installs, the wifi ssid dissapears because openwrt disables it in the network config. I'm able to telnet in afterwords and it shows openwrt installed but never shows any piratebox related files.

I have tried a few different usb sticks. Formated to fat32, only one partition but mount doesn't work like I showed above. I know it's gotta be something simple I am overlooking but I am just having trouble figuring it out. Thanks again for all the help. Not sure if this information is relevant or not but I just wanted to help clarify a bit more about what I am doing
October 21, 2014 03:51PM
Hi Craiglee,
you are right. It should be the images from the location you linked.

Are you using an USB Stick or a Harddisk? Is it USB.0?
It seems it doesn't be recognized as a drive, just as a USB device.

Can you please telnet into the device and post me the output of a few more commands please?

cat /etc/pbx_custom_image
cat /etc/openwrt_release
ps 
 dmesg | grep sda
lsmod

Thanks,
Matthias
Re: TP-Link MR3040 v2.3 quick question (fixed)
October 21, 2014 08:26PM
Hey, Sorry for the big delays between responses. I got it working! It turns out that my guess was correct. It was a problem with the USB. I never had problems loading my usb on computers or laptops so I didn't know there was some extra steps to ensure everything ran fine.

I went to windows command prompt(ran as administrator, not sure if that mattered or not) and typed.

DISKPART
list disk (showed my usb as disk 1)
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active (this step and the line above I was not used to doing)
format fs=fat32 (I'm not sure if quick formatting works, I'm sure it does but I went ahead and did it the slow way)
assign (this is another step I'm not used to doing as my computer has always recognized the device without doing it)
exit (to leave diskpart)
exit(to leave command prompt)

I reflashed back to factory firmware and then redownloaded the install folder zip, extracted it, and moved install folder to USB. redownloaded the bin file from the link mentioned from previous post. Safely removed USB, plugged it into router, plugged ethernet cable into router (hooked up to pc), turned router on, then just went to 192.168.0.1 and did firmware upgrade with the .bin. Everything went smoothly, the piratebox - share freely ssid popped up and then just followed post install instructions. Works like a charm.

Thank you guys for the help and for your patience with me. I absolutely love piratebox already and look forward to getting more familiar it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2014 03:43AM by Craiglee.