"Setting up networking, please wait..." but for how long???

Posted by DeeJF 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
"Setting up networking, please wait..." but for how long???
June 30, 2014 09:09PM
Jochen has very kindly helped me over email with some issues that seemed specific to my phone. This one appears to be more general, though maybe not.

After finally getting PirateBox running, I click "On" and it just... sits there, with the message:

"Setting up networking, please wait..."

I let it go for forty minutes, then shut my phone down and started up again, figuring I must have messed something up, and maybe a restart would put things to right. Tried again, and have been waiting 70 minutes now.

Am I doing something wrong? What's (not) happening? How long should the set up take? What can I do to fix it and make it work?
Re: "Setting up networking, please wait..." but for how long???
July 01, 2014 04:13PM
The app uses the standard tethering (hotspot) functionality of the phone and waits for the hotspot to start. If it doesn't, the app will wait forever.

Could you please test if the standard tethering of your phone is working.
To start the tethering, tick Wireless & Networking -> More... -> Tethering & portable hotspot -> Portable Wi-Fi hotspot inside the preferences.

If the hotspot starts up successfully it should also work with the PirateBox app.
I had quite some trouble on some ROMs because the hotspot was not working.
July 01, 2014 07:57PM
joschi70
To start the tethering, tick Wireless & Networking -> More... -> Tethering & portable hotspot -> Portable Wi-Fi hotspot inside the preferences.

The start of my problem is that there was no "More..." under my "Wireless & Networking". My android is old and (apparently) crippled by design. Yay.

However, with a little research, I did manage to make another step forward (I hope!). I found instructions for making my particular phone (Samsung SCH-R720) into a hotspot.

I didn't do everything, as most of it did not seem to apply to what I'm trying to do. But here's what I did do -- I installed ROM Toolbox Lite, and:

Go to --> toolboxlite. Open--> Buildprop editor
Change
Ro.tether.denied = true to False. You want it to be, False.

After which I immediately uninstalled the app. There is *very* little space for apps on this model, just over 200 megabytes, and my open space is just barely at 30 mb.

So tethering should not be denied now, at least.

I did not install the tethering app, mostly because none of the ones I found on searching seemed the recommended one. So possibly there is another step I need to do to make it work.

And the Settings did not suddenly, magically acquire the "More..." part.
UPDATE on Re: "Setting up networking, please wait..." but for how long???
July 09, 2014 07:07PM
Just updated through GooglePlay, and got something different than before.

Instead of "setting up networking" hanging forever, it shuts down wifi, then causes the phone to reboot, with wifi on again. confused smiley
DeeJF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just updated through GooglePlay, and got something
> different than before.
>
> Instead of "setting up networking" hanging
> forever, it shuts down wifi, then causes the phone
> to reboot, with wifi on again. confused smiley

This is pretty much exactly what's happening to me.
May 04, 2016 10:00PM
I may have a fix for you. Try this.