Private messaging or private chat

Posted by telnetrestart 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Private messaging or private chat
January 12, 2017 10:07PM
Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a piratebox to mostly be used as a document sharing platform while running pen and paper RPGs (like dungeons and dragons). For document sharing it is great, but I was wondering if there was a current mod that would allow users to directly message someone privately so they can communicate with the GM/DM without the other players hearing/reading. The current forum and chat set up will not work since it is all open.

Thanks
Re: Private messaging or private chat
January 13, 2017 11:21AM
While I'm not exactly technologically proficient, couldn't you perhaps use PGP encryption for players, so while anonymity of the project as a whole is maintained, private messages are still viable, as only the intended recipient can decrypt the message.
January 14, 2017 09:16PM
You can install a IRC server that can be used both for general chatrooms and private messages
April 22, 2017 11:20PM
Hello,

Saw this thread while working on my piratebox, and just want to share what I had done. I wanted a private messaging feature, so I did exactly that- I installed an IRC server, then added a standalone javascript IRC client to the home page. Worked out very well.

My base system was a Raspi3

I used Unreal IRCd: [www.digitalocean.com]
then added a "Shout" server: [shout-irc.com]

Then modified the base index.html. Shout runs on port 9000 by default, it was easy enough to just give it the frame to which the previous board had been assigned (Shoutbox, not to be confused).

Last, I added the UnrealIRCd and the Shout server to /etc/rc.local. Not the best solution, but it worked.

Good luck!
July 03, 2017 03:20AM
What you did was probably the best solution as PB is meant to be anonymous. With that being the case, it would be difficult to message someone without an ID of some sort.