Install Transmission on a PirateBox

Posted by sniper_eyes 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Install Transmission on a PirateBox
March 20, 2018 03:25AM
Hello,

I would just like to ask if it would be possible to install a Transmission interface to the box to download torrent files directly to the shared folder?

Thanks.

Regards,

Snipy
Re: Install Transmission on a PirateBox
March 29, 2018 09:21PM
Hi,
on RPi: yes, that should be possible.. still a normal Linux
on OpenWrt: maybe more difficult.

best regards Matthias
April 03, 2018 02:51AM
Matthias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
> on RPi: yes, that should be possible.. still a
> normal Linux
> on OpenWrt: maybe more difficult.
>
> best regards Matthias

Hello Sir Matthias,

I've successfully installed transmission on my pbox by allowing temporary internet connection (followed the HOW TO page). I have a 32 GB Sandisk ultrafit 3.0 usb drive and setup correct download directories by rerouting it to /usb/PirateBox/Shared folder. I've been using it for 2 days now and I've observed that the box reboots sometimes (during downloads). I'm just wondering if there's a way to create a swap space partition to improve the memory usage and avoid frequent restarts of the box due to heavy loads or network traffic?

Thank you and best reagrds,

Snipy
April 18, 2018 03:33AM
I've tried increasing the swap space to 128 MB but still the box reboots

swapoff -a
. /etc/ext.config
dd if=/dev/zero of="$ext_swapimg" bs=1M count=128
mkswap "$ext_swapimg"
swapon "$ext_swapimg"

Regards,

Snipy
April 30, 2018 02:11PM
Hi,
reboot is not necessarily a swap or memory issue.
The reboot occurs as well, when the operating system is under very heavy load - continuously working on IO etc. and can not refresh the dead-man switch (watchdog).

After a while, the router chip thinks, that the OS is dead and triggers a reboot.

Matthias