Made a mistake

Posted by Raikken 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Made a mistake
June 26, 2014 02:29AM
I made my first box during luch today and had success! However, later I had to transfer a large amount of media around and used the USB I had used to set up my PB. Of course not thinking I deleted the files that were on the stick for the PB. Later when I had more time to play with my PB I could not get a connection to it. So the USB I imagine has to stay with the PB. Now that my stick is empty is there anything that I can do to with this router or (just now thinking) can I run an upgrade file on it?

And ideas?

Thanks
syntiux
Re: Made a mistake
June 27, 2014 08:21AM
I made the same dumb mistake and would be happy to hear about a solution for this issue.
June 27, 2014 01:26PM
Extract the install_piratebox.zip to the USB drive again, plug it in the box and turn the box on.
After that, follow step 7 of "Auto-Installation" again. [piratebox.cc]
June 28, 2014 08:56AM
smipes, unfortunatly not.
The init process ony once cretes the external_fs folder to enable installing multiple packages/install_zip - if needed.

I thought about a proper way of reinit the box and came to the following points:

0. Prepare the USB Stick with a new fresh install folder
1. Boot you box without usb stick
2. login to your box using a static ip on your client computer and telnet/ssh
3. run /etc/init.d/ext disable
4. put the USB Stick to your box
5. run the command:

box_installer_start.sh

Watch the installation. Afterwards, do a reboot.

This will only work, if you haven't tried the method described above. If you already tried it, the installer installed everything to your firmware and you should start doing a complete reflash with a fresh copied install-folder

I noted down to adjust the box_installer to recognize, if the extendRoot stuff (external_fs Folder) is working... and if it is not working, then to skip the installation for not installing on the firmware itself.

Matthias

This is only my signature.
June 28, 2014 09:53PM
Thanks Matthias,

Perhaps I already bricked my first one. I got a new stick (just for this!) and put the install files on it and followed the upgrade instructions. Everything seemed to be going fine until the reboot. The router did turn off and back on but in telnet it just said rebooting. I went out to do some work around the house for a few hours and came back and all was still the same. My computer said that it was not connected to any network, not even the router and of course before I could see it. After the reboot it did not show up while other wireless networks would. So I powered the router up and down and played around with it but it would never show up again (TP Link 3040). Watching the status lights while powering on all would turn on but the only the power light would be on. The other status lights did not come on. While it was rebooting the ethernet light was on solid and would ocassionally flash. So.....any ideas? I will play with it again when I have some free time. In the mean time I ordered a new routher and will not make the same mistake again.

When I get a chance I will plug in again and see if any different and try your process. Otherwise do you know any projects to do with a bricked router?

Thanks for your help. I understand about free time projects.
June 29, 2014 09:15AM
Raikken, did you try to connect to your router with set up static IP address for connecting to your box? Did that work? telnet? ping? turn some leds on, when you connect a ethernet cable?

Sounds weired, but maybe something went wrong while flashing or anything else.

Matthias
July 01, 2014 05:44PM
I added this point to our technical_faq section. The easiest way would be reflashing.

[piratebox.cc] (at the bottom)

This is only my signature.
July 01, 2014 09:34PM
I looked at your links and look forward to getting around to try and fix it.

Thanks again