Current situation of the PirateBox - Project

Posted by Matthias 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
I'm also extremely interested in seeing true MESH networking come to the project, because I want to set up an offline network of PirateBoxes at my university. Is there still work being done on an alpha build, as the FAQ states? What do you need most right now?
Re: Current situation of the PirateBox - Project
March 21, 2016 08:56PM
Hi,
if you are soo much interested into that topic, checkout the development thread: [forum.piratebox.cc]

There are information available how to use the bleeding edge unsupported version to setup a mesh and play around. You can try to improve the feature. smiling smiley

best regards
Matthias

This is only my signature.
April 02, 2016 07:13AM
Don't forget good ol' china.
A lot of good routers and can be found on Aliexpress.com for cheap.
If the situation gets so serious where routers are being screened through customs and you live in the US.
Make sure your China Vendor chips through EMS Express and can have your package come through the New York port.
Also remember that ordering at peak times are important, like during the Christmas Holiday. IE more packages coming into the United States than the man power is available to screen.

This Ban is being done at the manufacturer level which means end user can not be held responsible if a router can be flashed with OpenWrt or not. (for now).

Raspberry Pi seems to be the future of the PB if this gets any worst, but that is not a bad thing necessarily.
Raspberry pi Zero $5
micro sd card $5
Wifi Adapter $5

You do not necessarily need a OTG cable to connect the adapter to the pi and it is powered via the phone charging adapter you already have. So the total cost would be $15, plus you get more resources to work with, which means features can be added that were too heavy for routers.
I just found out about this project and have been promoting it but will include a need for techs in all areas. I love the idea and with big brother and assigned ip addresses this is a great time for everything. I will promote the he'll out of your project across many forums and send my techie friends your way! I love the bobs twist. Maybe we can use Mrs to make an .undernet. type of secure network with boxes made and pinned to trees and billboards to cover areas. We'll use box as the network and pirate box as the password and get this movement going!
September 02, 2016 06:09AM
Well I am using the Piratebox and other such projects on the Raspberry Pi with students in my school for a computer club.

All I can say Matthias is your work is an inspiration to the next generation of real "Hackers" soon to hit the world.