Tplink MR-3040 as UPNP/DLNA server

Posted by hussain 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Tplink MR-3040 as UPNP/DLNA server
June 19, 2015 01:23PM
Hi,

I have iphone 16gb and i hate the fact that I cannot take my music of 100gb with me when i travel.

I searched on internet and found this forum. I have a few questions:

1. If i install piratebox on my Tplink MR-3040, can i set it up as DLNA server for my iphone.
2. What is maximum size usb flash drive or hard drive I can use with Tplink MR-3040
3. What is the expected battery life with streaming music to my iphone if I use it with my wd passport 1tb hard drive. Also what shall be battery life with 128gb flash drive.

Thanks
Re: Tplink MR-3040 as UPNP/DLNA server
June 19, 2015 06:36PM
anyone?
June 20, 2015 08:07AM
knock knock, anybody home?
June 20, 2015 10:08AM
Hi,

I use a raspberry pi for pirate box, and cannot help you with your tplink question.
This forum has no readcounter for postings, and even if it seems nobody is reading your post, this is not the case.
June 21, 2015 07:04AM
IS THERE AN ADMIN or someone around here?
1. If i install piratebox on my Tplink MR-3040, can i set it up as DLNA server for my iphone.
>> for you iPhone, you need an additional app to stream files, see [piratebox.cc]

2. What is maximum size usb flash drive or hard drive I can use with Tplink MR-3040
>> theoretical limited by the size of FAT32 , as you need that as the filesystem. So this would be 32GB ? But it is possible to have larger filesystems too.

3. What is the expected battery life with streaming music to my iphone if I use it with my wd passport 1tb hard drive. Also what shall be battery life with 128gb flash drive.
>> that totally depends on your hard drive. The MR3040 lasts between 4 and 6 hours, depending on the amount of traffic. I recommend using a mr3020 with an external battery.
BTW: if you like to run a hard drive... that may need more power then the MR3040 provide through the USB Port, which directs you to use a bigger battery with more slots.

In addition, please take account, that minidlna will take a very long time to index such a huge amount of mp3 files. I can't say if it will ever be finished... and you should consider to place the minidlna database not in the opt/piratebox/tmp folder (default) which is deleted during startup.
BTW: an my homesever, I have a similiar amount of files, which creates problems with minidlna (not all indexed) - so no garantuee here.