followed you instructions and successfully bricked my $30 router

Posted by minj 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
followed you instructions and successfully bricked my $30 router
March 04, 2016 02:38AM
you guys might want to brush up on your documents.moody smiley
Re: followed you instructions and successfully bricked my $30 router
March 05, 2016 03:03AM
Well, yeah.
whar did you do? What hardware? Can you access it with telnet, did you get a ip with dhcp?
March 05, 2016 11:50AM
yeah, do you have any infos or you just wanted to blame everyone ?
March 05, 2016 04:42PM
Sure, here are some informations

[piratebox.cc]
[piratebox.cc]
[harloholm.es]
[www.youtube.com]
March 06, 2016 10:04AM
What make and model is your router?? I have unbricked my TP-Link TL-MR3020 router successfully twice. It's easy and is possible to unbrick also without a serial cable connection. This method works with all (almost) TP-Link Routers. By holding the reset button for about 3 seconds while powering up the router, it makes it to switch itself in a mode that automatically tries to connect to an existing FTP server and read it's firmware. All you need is a network cable to connect the router to the computer, set up the ip 192.168.0.66 on your computer, install Tftp server and set it to serve the unzipped router firmware that you'll put in a folder. You have to rename the firmware .bin file to mr3020v1_tp_recovery.bin. Actually this is the step-by-step guide: [www.youtube.com] . You can rename the piratebox image to mr3020v1_tp_recovery.bin and instead recovering the original tp-link firmware you'll install the piratebox.
Good Luck!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2016 10:06AM by sneakybaboon.
March 06, 2016 05:56PM
Tell us which part of the documentation was not clear to you.
This is a community project, so everyone has the chance (and is very welcome) to improve it and we rely on the community to do so.
Just posting that something on some device some how at some point is not working makes it really difficult for us to improve anything.

Please elaborate and we will try to fix it. Also as others before me mentioned, most of the devices are easily "unbricked" and we will guide you through the steps if the information in this forum is not enough.
March 07, 2016 08:02PM
Hello,
Are you using the original LAN cable (the white one) ? I guess the LAN cable must be as short as possible.
Also, what happens exactly when you power on the router?? How the LED lights are behaving. If the lights seem to follow some kind of loop, then you should be able to unbrick using the instructions in the video I provided.
Also, please use thIS forum topic since there are guys that are more experienced and can help

Also, please see this thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2016 08:08PM by sneakybaboon.
March 08, 2016 08:52AM
@sneakybaboon

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, sorry if I've PM you it's just because my PBox is around 2 years dead and I'm looking for a solution without using a serial cable. I'm actually using a flat utp cable 1.5 ft in length. Is your method applicable to what I'm encountering? I've uploaded a video of the endless rebooting of my PBox. Please see below.

[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Thank you

Snipy
March 08, 2016 05:11PM
watch again that video carefully, set-up the FTP on your computer, get this image here and rename it to mr3020v1_tp_recovery.bin. Follow exact video instruction and use this image you renamed. It is very important to use this name mr3020v1_tp_recovery.bin since this is the name the router expects to find on your FTP when you start it (the router) properly: Press the router's RESET button, insert the power cable while still keeping the reset presed for about 3 to 5 seconds. Release the reset button, and if you followed the instructions carefully (video + my explanations) you should be able to obtain the PirateBox installed successfully. Then, there are another instructions, very similar on how to revert the router's firmware back to original (TP-Link)

Good Luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2016 05:13PM by sneakybaboon.
March 09, 2016 01:12AM
@sneakybaboon

Hello,

Thank you again for your reply. The steps that you've mentioned is clear. My point hear is that, how is it possible to perform the said steps if no data connection (lan) is observed from the PBox itself and to the connection to the computer? The utp cable that I'm using is in good working condition and only 1.5 ft in length.

Also another question, when you connect your bricked MR3020 did you observe if there are led lights (yellow and orange) on the lan port of the computer? Because if there is, then there is a possibility that your bricked MR3020 is different from the current situation of my PBox.

I've done failsafe mode for my PBox before, meaning there is a data connection from the PBox to the computer and I've done it successfully. But this time when I've bricked it due to a wrong firmware, I can say that the situation is different because no response (as seen on the lan port of the PC) is happening even if you press the reset button.

Thank you.

Regards,

Snipy
March 11, 2016 10:06PM
well... I'm no expert, but I guess you'll need to try using a serial cable (you know, opening the case, soldering the serial pins, using a usb to ttl adapter...)

Sorry about this.

Good Luck!
March 12, 2016 01:22AM
@sneakybaboon

Thank you for your time answering my questions smiling smiley

Regards

Snipy