What ever happened to the PirateBox OS?

Posted by Ironclad 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
What ever happened to the PirateBox OS?
March 20, 2016 07:06PM
I remembered seeing this a long time ago. My old Mac Mini bricked and it seemed like instead of fixing it I should just put a new OS on it. Well, turns out it needs a replacement drive, then I thought of the PirateBox OS. I figured I'd just use an old USB to run it live and share things on it, but looking at it now, the PirateBoxLive OS has not even been updated in the past 4 years.

Why isn't anyone maintaining this? It seems like a perfect way to put some old computer that craps out to use.
Re: What ever happened to the PirateBox OS?
March 21, 2016 08:53PM
Hi,
because I don't know anything about it and the only person, who worked on this, disappeared.

Giving support for OpenWrt-based and general PirateBox is more then enough to handle.

In any case: You can install debian on your old computer and run through the manual DIY steps to get it working winking smiley

best regards
Matthias

This is only my signature.
March 25, 2016 07:38PM
Oh? So it is still possible to just throw Debian on an old system and still run PirateBox that way? I hadn't considered that. I will have to try that instead.

I like the concept of an OS specifically for PirateBox but there's nothing wrong with doing it manually either, I suppose.
April 02, 2016 06:44AM
You know, the image for the raspberry pi is just that a specified OS for running piratebox, however it is based on Arch. PirateBox is considered more of a package or service on top of a OS. (in my book anyway), so in theory you can run piratebox on any Linux Based OS that meet the PB's dependencies and requirements.
April 22, 2016 06:37AM
Yeah, I just didn't think laptop hardware was supported. I've been reading in to it though and I've messed around with setting it up on my laptop.

Although I might just get an old computer like an Optiplex or an old HP for $50 and install PirateBox on it that way, and get a wireless adapter if necessary.

The PirateBox OS would just be convenient though. I wish someone would pick up development on it. Not that there's anything wrong with installing it yourself, just that a purpose-made OS would be cool too.