Building 5 Pirate Boxes!

Posted by degoltz 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Building 5 Pirate Boxes!
March 22, 2016 07:54PM
Hi,
I'm Daniel, From Israel.
Me and 4 other friend would like to spend a few days building our very own pirate boxes (5 pieces). I'm looking into buying the routers at the moment and would like to know if there is any noticeable difference between the the TP-Link 3020 / TP-Link 3040.

The 3040 is about 70% more expensive and i don't know if it is really needed (could we use it for anything else later?)

Also, if we want to add some "Personal Magic" to our boxes, is it simple to do? how long will the initial process take us once we bought the router?

Thanks again,
Daniel
Re: Building 5 Pirate Boxes!
March 27, 2016 12:00PM
Hi,
the MR3040 comes with an internal battery. Personally, I recommend the M3020 over the MR3040, because you can choose your battery and add more sophisticated logic around it.

The internal battery is the reason for the higher price. The MR3020 has more spare room inside the case for custom cables etc.

Could we use it for anything else later?
It is a fully OpenWrt system, you can use this for alot stuff smiling smiley

Also, if we want to add some "Personal Magic" to our boxes, is it simple to do? how long will the initial process take us once we bought the router?
It depends.

best regards
Matthias