New antenna testing

Posted by xring 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
New antenna testing
March 28, 2016 07:27PM
Link to antenna on Amazon

I got this new antenna and wanted to test out before installing it on my tower.
I used my homemade antenna tester and found the antenna has a nice low SWR. (return loss).
But, I can't test it outdoors yet due to the continuous rain!

I've configured the PB to my router, and set the router power to 150 mW. I want to test outdoors,
to determine the antenna panel's widest beam-width orientation. (Hor or Ver).

I want to set up the rig outdoors and then walk around the area checking the signal power with the 'Wifi Analyzer' app.
The spec says it will cover an area 110 degrees wide. (I didn't want a narrow beam-width antenna).
The labeling format of the antenna patterns used by the vendor, has me a little confused.
Not sure if their patterns are referencing the earth's vertical and horizontal, or the antenna's orientation.?.

If a 110 deg, neighborhood-covering signal is horizontally polarized, that would mean all those local routers
would be hitting my PB with weaker signals. (Theoretically down by 20 dcool smiley..
That would be good, in the sense that phones and tablets don't seem to be very effected by signal polarization..

URL to Tupavco (vendor) website page

The PB is running on channel 11 and the router is on channel 6. My home Fios is on channel 1.
I'll post some follow-up, in case anyone is looking for a directional, wide-beam antenna.