Piratebox on laptop: doesn't work

Posted by kimented 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Piratebox on laptop: doesn't work
November 22, 2016 06:51AM
Hello,
I try to make a piratebox with an old laptop. I use the scripts provided on this site, and my laptop is running Debian Jessie without xserver.
I tried with several wlan chips, this is what happened:
- internal iwp2200: it seems that the driver provided by the kernel doesn't allow to run a hotspot (it is not ipw2200-ap, I think). The hostap didn't launch, but the wlan interface will have an ip address. Trying to lanch hostap manually, I have an error (I will post the message if it will help ).
- wlan USB dongles: 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n and 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter. They seems to work, the hotspot will run, but I cannot connect to it with any device.

For the USB dongles: maybe this is a problem with the dhcp daemon, but I don't know how it is configured. I'm used to work with bind9, but it seems that it is not installed. What DNS software is used by the piratebox laptop version?

edit: I tryed right now to set a static IP on my client devices: it works. But it seems that it is a DNS bug too: the traffic is not redirected to the piratebox. But I can see the lighttpd default web page if I enter the piratebox IP in my browser.

P.S. I'm french

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2016 07:20PM by kimented.
Re: Piratebow on laptop: doesn't work
November 22, 2016 07:19PM
With a bit of investigation, and help of Matthias on IRC, this is the Problem:
When the laptop boot up, the dnsmasq service (which manage the DNS and DHCP) is started with its default configuration file, which is not the good file.

Solution: disable the dnsmasq service
# update-rc.d dnsmasq disable

To launch the piratebox at startup:
# update-rc.d piratebox defaults

Another bug:
Sometimes, I don't know exactly why, the network is not able to start. It can be unblocked with these commands:
# rfkill block bluetooth
# rfkill unblock wifi

At this state, my piratebox can run with my USB wlan dongle :-) . It is just a bit sad that the internal chip don't work.
Now I need to study how to install the piratebox webpage, currently I have the default lighttpd page.