Going from a PirateBox to a LibraryBox

Posted by jacob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Going from a PirateBox to a LibraryBox
March 03, 2017 01:32AM
I have ordered several Zsun devices to run PirateBox. However, I would also like to experiment with LibraryBox. So my question is: should I try installing LibraryBox directly or, since the Zsun isn't really supported by LibraryBox, would it be better to first install PirateBox and then migrate to LibraryBox?

And if the second option is preferable, what would be the best way to do this? Supposing there is a way, of course.
Re: Going from a PirateBox to a LibraryBox
March 03, 2017 05:21AM
Let me ask a different question first: What features do you want to have on/from LibraryBox?

Matthias
March 03, 2017 05:06PM
Well, I like the statistic feature, although it shouldn't necessarily be public. I also like the fact that configuration files, web page content and shared directory are all linked to the removable media. Ftp access for administration purposes is also great, although I don't care about master/client sync nor anonymous ftp. The shoutbox feature is also good, although I would like a slightly different output. Is the script freely modifiable, and if so which directory is it in?

Something puzzles me however. Having just purchased an MR3020 to try different configurations, I have noticed that, contrary to what I have read in a few places, I can stream audio and video without any problems and without a special app. I have tried to do so on an iPad 1 running ios 5, an iphone 5 running ios 10 and an Android phone. they all work beautifully, all streaming mp3 audio or mp4 video perfectly.
March 10, 2017 07:33PM
Now that I have a first PirateBox installation to play with, I am not so much interested in the LibraryBox anymore. The truth is, while there is one or two features of LibraryBox that could be great on the PirateBox, the latter is a much more interesting platform IMO.

Actually, I was very surprised to see that it is possible to upload images to the board directly from the browser of a smart phone, without any app. This is fantastic!
March 12, 2017 06:45AM
Hi jacob,
I am sorry for the late response.

In fact, the statistics is one of the things, I totally opt-out on PirateBox. BTW: LibraryBox & PirateBox share the same codebase.

Theoretically the switch from PirateBox to LibraryBox is pretty easy. You can follow the "auto_flash" path, I described it here: [forum.piratebox.cc]

You can use the same method to switch over to LibraryBox - and LibraryBox supports this feature too.
But -of course- only OpenWrt based versions (of PirateBox).

best regards
Matthias

This is only my signature.