PirateBox on Intenso "Memory 2 Move" battery powered WiFi/USB hard disk

Posted by mro 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
mro
PirateBox on Intenso "Memory 2 Move" battery powered WiFi/USB hard disk
June 01, 2014 06:50AM
Thanks a lot for an interesting project. I've come to it while trying to understand better how this Memory 2 Move product by Intenso Gmbh works:

It is a 3000 mAh battery powered Ralink RT5350 board (32MiB RAM, 360MHz MIPS SoC running an embedded Linux image, assembled from a custom version of BuildRoot), with integrated BGN WiFi and Ethernet connectivity, besides a USB 3.0 port which is used to recharge and/or in "dumb" usb-storage mode when attached to a computer. Everything in a small form factor, comparable to older 3.5'' hard-disk sizes, and being sold with up to 1TiB 5400RPM spinning disk storage.

It is fairly easy to get access to the device, thanks to a telnet backdoor which was left in the stock firmware ver. 1.1 (username=root ; password: 20080826). One can for instance install a full Debian MIPSEL "Lenny" distribution, running nicely if a bit slow. The firmware too is relatively easy to customize; some quickly jolted down notes while playing with the device are here. I could change and re-package and flash the default rootfs initrd image to close the backdoor, and recompile the kernel and rest of BuildRoot too; but upgrading the latter is momentarily postponed, until I'm sure not to brick the device.

Keep up with the good work, nice idea!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2014 06:57AM by mro.
mro
Re: PirateBox on Intenso "Memory 2 Move" battery powered WiFi/USB hard disk
June 17, 2014 09:25AM
I've found a UART port on the device circuit board, and could get access to the boot log, and serial console.

Some preliminary notes and pictures are being gathered here.

Have fun!