PirateBox - Store&Forward techniques ; note collection

Posted by Matthias 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PirateBox - Store&Forward techniques ; note collection
April 19, 2015 05:56PM
as a follow up of the IRC discussion:

maybe the FIDONet thing is an option... it should be able to use ipv6 for the mesh thing.

software:
[husky.sourceforge.net]
[sites.google.com]

...mh...

This is only my signature.
Re: PirateBox - Store&Forward techniques ; note collection
June 11, 2015 11:09PM
FIDONet is still around? Wow! I remember using that in the '80s!
Re: PirateBox - Store&Forward techniques ; note collection
July 14, 2015 03:32PM
It would be great to see a FIDOnet-style message system. Would this replace the current Forum?

It would help to know some of the real-world use-cases for PirateBox since this implies occasional contact with the Internet that might not occur.

Would it be possible for a set of authorized devices (phone/laptop) to act as the sync mechanism? I'm envisioning something like a mail carrier: the intermediate device connects to the PB, picks up new local messages and delivers new remote messages. When visiting another PB site or the Internet, it completes the exchange.

I don't know much about FIDOnet or UUCP but from what I recall, they assume infrequent, direct contact to these remote systems. It seems like a 3rd party/p2p negotiation may be the practical implementation here.

I think this relates to the cluster discussion, adding a notion of limited trust so that forums can be hosted/administered remotely but synced locally.