PirateBox using docker

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PirateBox using docker
November 12, 2017 08:52PM
Has anyone tried to setup PirateBox with Docker?

This might be dreaming too big. But if this can be done, then people could run Raspberry Pi clusters in a docker swarm which would scale to handle more clients with long range wireless access points and a wide network mesh.
The addition of containers like letsencrypt, nginx, certbot may allow for offline https certificate validation making this project more secure and user friendly.

I am still pretty new to docker but if I can work out a way to network the container such that it uses a wlan interface then it should work. It looks like there are wifi-ap containers available for x86 installs.

Always looking for input so lets start a discussion about using docker with PirateBox.
Re: PirateBox using docker
November 13, 2017 07:33PM
Containerization is quite good for non privileged containers like a webserver.
For running PirateBox, you need to run a privileged container to run an AccessPoint.

But if this can be done, then people could run Raspberry Pi clusters in a docker swarm which would scale to handle more clients with long range wireless access points and a wide network mesh.
you should read a bit more about docker swarm, and what it is about mesh networking. Further readings here Mesh introduction.

It is possible to run the software itself in a container, but the UI relies on the initial redirect to a fictive domain- which won't work an a normal client with DNS resolution.

Anyhow, still interested in your thoughts
Matthias
December 30, 2017 10:15AM
I thought a while about your suggestion to create a docker image... and started with a first basic setup today.
The first docker image will only provide the website as a first step. This should help to develop easier the front end work.

I’m still figuring out what is the best way to go, and what makes sense or not.

Thank you for the suggestion
Best regards
Matthias
December 31, 2017 04:09PM
PirateBox-Docker Repository.
This is a first set to get the UI running. For running a full featured PirateBox, there is more work needed *and* you will need to run the container in a privileged mode.

best regards Matthias