powerful routers

Posted by junnot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
powerful routers
November 05, 2015 10:33PM
Good day people I need ur help, I want to install pirate box to 500 people at once in my campus my intention is to stream to all over them
1) what kind wifi device can I use
2) how can I extend my wifi signal to 5km I don't mind the cost even it a single direction wifi

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 10:57PM by junnot.
Re: powerful routers
November 09, 2015 06:50PM
Hi,
you won't be able to cover 5km with one router... if you amply the signal as much as possible, your router won't be able to hear the device on the other end of the 5km whispering....

Should those 500 ppl be connected all the time? I believe not?

Matthias

This is only my signature.
November 09, 2015 10:30PM
So how wide can a router cover and work properly,Can u advice me on which router I can buy that will suit my project. At least 2mile should do
November 11, 2015 08:47PM
The problem of that range for one device is the following

Normal:

Client  <---- see the ------ AP
  Client  -------  connect ----> AP
  Client <---- Transmit  ---> AP

Wide area with one router

Client <===== sees a strong signal from =====  Powerful sending AP
  Client ------ tries to connect --                                       Powerful sending AP

But the Client's signal strength is not powerful enough to reach the AP
seen by the client
You can't overcome the issue for serving clients. It might work with directional routers, but only for - maybe 100meters. Then you start to have the problem above again.

So you need a series of devices.

Matthias