Piratebox 1.2-alpha testing on Raspberry Pi

Posted by TheExpertNoob 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Piratebox 1.2-alpha testing on Raspberry Pi
December 07, 2017 03:32AM
Raspberry Pi Zero
I had issues connecting to the wifi on first boot (even waited about 10 mins for install to complete) SSID was broadcasting but my PC and phone would complain it couldn't connect I had to connect a keyboard to login, reboot and I was able to connect to the wifi upon reboot. Other than that, i will go through the expanded checklist later. I will have to test the power button feature and may not be able to test the RTC module. Will test python stuff soon. Will report back what version of python is on this build when I get her booted back up. This is a 12-06-2017 development build.

PirateBox Installs:
2x Zsun's (both testing, one with serial interface)
A5-V11 (mostly for OpenWRT testing DIY)
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
1x RPi2 (currently work server)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2017 03:36AM by TheExpertNoob.
Extended Testing thus far.
December 07, 2017 04:38AM

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's
(one active in car 24/7, gets a lot of hits at Walmart, movie theaters and the mall)
2x RPi3's (both home servers, one Ubuntu custom install along side a ton of other services)
Re: Extended Testing thus far.
December 07, 2017 04:55AM
So we need to work on the timesave stuff a bit..

Did you gave the captive Portal stuff a test?
It is not yet in the official test list. i-devices should get a popup browser.
Similiar should happen on android?
December 10, 2017 07:20PM
Matthias Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So we need to work on the timesave stuff a bit..
>
>
> Did you gave the captive Portal stuff a test?
> It is not yet in the official test list. i-devices
> should get a popup browser.
> Similiar should happen on android?

So ive tried to get a reply back to you but kept getting interrupted when doing so. I dont have an i-device to test with and did not notice this on my Android phone. The only thing I noticed on my android phone was a few apps asked to "click to continue sign in" (Facebook message app, Plex and Amazon) Nothing really popped up and when I opened my web browser it was the usual redirect. I should be able to finish the extended checklist within the next couple of days.

I am also going to test the sdcard to usb drive script and see if that works in case a user decides they want to use a thumbdrive AFTER choosing to use the space on the sdcard.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's
December 10, 2017 07:30PM

I am also going to test the sdcard to usb drive script and see if that works in case a user decides they want to use a thumbdrive AFTER choosing to use the space on the sdcard.
not supported, but I am also interested what will happen.

The next thing, I need to work on is a rework of the directory listing. I want something easier to modify in comparison to the current solution with README.txt and HEADER.html ..
December 11, 2017 12:46AM
Matthias Wrote:
> not supported, but I am also interested what will
> happen.

I haven't tested it yet but noticed I can't create a sub-directory via sftp inside of Shared as it is owned by nobody:nogroup and logged in as alarm. In most situations users will be using a USB drive formatted as fat32 instead of the rest of the SDcard where in the case of this, I am working with an ext4 partition where ownership actually matters. Maybe we should look at making that 4th partition as a fat32 as well just to keep everything uniform? What is our "easy plan" to create sub-directories besides sftp and ssh terminal in this case? You know users will end up asking. In the case of a fat32 usb drive, most users will just create those directories via their windows machine.

> The next thing, I need to work on is a rework of
> the directory listing. I want something easier to
> modify in comparison to the current solution with
> README.txt and HEADER.html

would a symlink in Shared and in each subdirectory thereafter work pointing to only two files in the root website directory (www_content) that users can modify? (never mind, symlinks dont work inside a fat32 file system for linux)

EDIT: I am also having issues connecting to wifi on my pi zero that I haven't had in the past(windows PC and my Android). I dunno if its the dongle or some configuration. I'll look into the logs for that one.

Edit2: it was my dhcp server running on my PC causing issues with wifi ;-D

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 04:18AM by TheExpertNoob.
December 11, 2017 01:08AM
Matthias Wrote:
> not supported, but I am also interested what will happen.

just tested this and well... It mounted the usb drive to /mnt/usbshare as expected and created a link /opt/piratebox/share/share pointing to /mnt/usbshare/share. So it seems like it nested a second share symlink. No files were actually transferred from the sdshare to the usbshare.
So what I did was delete /opt/piratebox/share/share symlink AND the /opt/piratebox/share symlink.
Manually copied the files from /mnt/sdshare/share to /mnt/usbshare
created a symlink: ln -s /mnt/usbshare/share/ /opt/piratebox/share
Bob is your uncle and it seems ok.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 03:24AM by TheExpertNoob.
Re: Piratebox 1.2-alpha testing on Raspberry Pi
December 11, 2017 01:41AM
After a reboot, wifi is working again(dnsmasq still not running). Digging through logs I did find this error, but it does not seem to be affecting how things work on the front end of the site.

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's
December 11, 2017 03:55AM
Updated Extended Checklist with some more screenshots. Seems the hostname changing is broken now. Do we still use the same command?
/opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf hostname <new hostname>
ex
/opt/piratebox/bin/install_piratebox.sh /opt/piratebox/conf/piratebox.conf hostname nanobox.lan

..and nanobox.lan would become the new redirect hostname? Is this meant for RPi?

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 04:14AM by TheExpertNoob.
December 11, 2017 03:58AM
So in Conclusion looks like The following needs work.

SDcard to USB drive script.
Timesave
Hostname changing
Captive portal doesn't seem to change anything if it is even working at all.
Rework Directory Listing

PirateBox Installs:
2x RPi Zero's

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2017 03:59AM by TheExpertNoob.
December 11, 2017 03:59PM
> SDcard to USB drive script.
as I wrote earlier, not supported, but feel free to contribute a switching script spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

> Timesave
On RPi? Ok, can you please open a post with your concrete steps and finding, to reproduce it on my side?

> Hostname changing
The command changed, the piratebox.conf must be onmitted . Check out the command output of install_piratebox.sh

> Captive portal doesn't seem to change anything if it is even working at all.
mmh.. so no messages on your android device, which vanish later?
Windows, still limited connectivity ? :-( :-(

> Rework Directory Listing
yes..
December 11, 2017 05:00PM
I thought a while about the point your brought up in the earlier posts: How to upload content with the contradiction nobody-alarm user.

I think this is something we need to do something about. eye rolling smiley !
December 17, 2017 11:54AM
For the public, I created two new alpha images today

Pi0 - Pi0w - Pi1-ab
piratebox_rpi_2.0-alpha-29-07-2017.img.zip
Pi2 & Pi3
piratebox_rpi2_2.0-alpha-29-07-2017.img.zip

best regards Matthias