Ideas for improvement

Posted by csolus 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Ideas for improvement
May 08, 2012 08:55PM
I think the concept it good, but the usability can be improved. I have these suggestions:
- add a progress-bar and ETA for upload !! It can take a significant amount of time, especially for slow usb keys
- add a cancel button for upload too
- dont put the uploading tmp files in the same directory than the Shared directory. I'm fearing that files starting with tmp (that are not real temporary files) take the risk to be wiped out at restart.

That's it for today!
Thanks for this cool forum and great project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2012 08:55PM by csolus.
Re: Ideas for improvement
May 09, 2012 09:05AM
I'm worried about upload speed. I DL at 4MB/s, but upload to the PB at approx 300-500KB/s. This is obviously not my usb key, because it writes at 5MB/s (measured). There's probably some issues in the upload protocol that is currently used.
May 09, 2012 09:08AM
Other possible improvement:
- show available disc-space to users in the PB
May 09, 2012 10:38AM
Hi,
no, it is an issue of the low cpu speed of the box.
Droopy have a high cpu-load while upload... but It scales very nicly... my own-written Upload-Script running on lighttpd caused too much stress on OpenWRT with a forced reboot... "The watchdog" thought the box was hanged up... or I overloaded the USB-Chip while writing.

Whatever, yes it is low. It is an CPU and USB-Chip issue.
Upload protocol is http, so no change possible on this thing.

kind regards
Matthias
May 13, 2012 06:46PM
If ever you need web developpers to style and/or add functions to the PirateBox html, I (among many others) will be glad to help! Just let us know if you need something coded grinning smiley
I'm pretty sure that a progress bar, for example, would be something feasible.