Easier Install on OpenWRT?

Posted by Matthias 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Easier Install on OpenWRT?
May 17, 2012 06:58PM
Can it be done? What has to be done?

I noted down my thoughts about get this stuff mostly automatic done:

Check my wiki-page

This is a request for comments!

This is only my signature.
Re: Easier Install on OpenWRT?
May 17, 2012 07:48PM
Matthias,
If you make a welcome screen which would ask question 1,6,7,12. once the process would take minutes

Example

"Please enter the following inforamtion"
what is your router ip address
what ip address would you like to give to the piratebox
what password do you want to set for your piratebox
would you like to install imageboard

then your script would do its grep magic and instruc the users to hook the piratebox to the home network. it would download everything install and reboot.

nothing to see here, no longer here.
May 18, 2012 09:16AM
Not everything can be "routed" through telnet - that is the point, why sometimes still Userinteraction is necessary.

But I want to do the IP stuff as much as possible automatic.
May 18, 2012 11:46AM
Matthias,
Ok I understand now. Yes if the IP stuff can be done automatically this would cut out at least 3 steps. I eliminated steps with the original firmware by making backup copies of my network, firewall, & wireless config files. Then simply renamed them when I did a new install. Probably not the most elegant way to do it, but it works.

Ive got the whole process down to about 15 full minutes.

May 18, 2012 11:50AM
Yes, 15 minutes is the time I need too.

I added my 2 MR3020 to DHCP table in my router, that they have always a fixed ip from my DHCP Server. So it is really fast with all together and I only have to exchange "static" to "dhcp"
May 20, 2012 01:52AM
I will have to try that with my 2nd development MR3020. (the Static IP) within my router

May 21, 2012 03:14PM
I honestly don't know how you could make it to much easier... As far as I know doing it by script is well unreasonable. I think clearer instructions alone would make it easier.
May 21, 2012 09:25PM
Terror,
I agree with clearer instructions. I am currently working on some. I was working on it last week but didnt have internet access for 4 days which sucked. I will be installing and documenting the newest Lighttpd version. Lost my motivation for a while, it happens. I fugured the instructions for doing a fresh install for newest verson is the same as the old just changing the url. Is it even worth writing documentation if its just a simple url change.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2012 11:39AM by pabell.
June 02, 2012 10:37AM
Maybe a repository for the PirateBox makes it a bit easier. It solves the common package problems and the user is always installing the current version of Pirateboxes ..!
June 02, 2012 12:13PM
thumbs up

August 29, 2012 05:32AM
What about this 2nd idea
seems much easier.
September 12, 2012 05:24PM
That would be cool if you could pull it off,

PS: I'm back. smiling smiley