PB and Android ads?

Posted by *grod 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
PB and Android ads?
October 01, 2012 10:12PM
Ladies and Gents:

I now have two working Pirate Boxes at locations across town.
I've noticed I'm getting these strange "temp" files being uploaded to the share folder. They all have names like "be7mU_0Ttmp" with no extension. After opening them with gedit, I've discovered they are files that Android is leaving on the server. Inside it are long strings that are carrier & device identifiers. I've also noticed that there is a string identifying the phone customer's age & gender.
It seems that Android is uploading some kind of targeted advertising data.

What I'm wondering is if there is something we can do to get PB to feed some kind of data into that apparent advertisement request. I'm thinking of something like an ad that's plain and just says "Pirate Box: Share Freely" or whatnot. Any ideas or thoughts on this? I'm not quite sure how to go about it.
Re: PB and Android ads?
October 02, 2012 04:30AM
Hi,
at first, I think the upload problem is solved with piratebox-version 0.5.1 ; In this version I changed the for this problem relevant parts.

For delivering advertisements, you need some "general" redirect for advertisement-requests. This general redirect is already used for redirecting browser-users to the landing-page.sad smiley

If someone has a good idea: please mention it.

Matthias
Re: PB and Android ads?
October 02, 2012 05:56AM
Hmmm... so, out of curiosity what exactly was causing these "temp" files to be uploaded?