Another Update on My Projects

Posted by TerrorByte 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Another Update on My Projects
November 30, 2012 07:29PM
Again, I'm still not dead, just very busy with school and my multiduous other projects. So here is an update on each of my PirateBox projects:

PirateBox Live v1.1 and v2.0

This is the most popular of all of my projects so I'm focusing what little time I have into that at the moment, but here is what is up. I have two branches of the project that I am working on, the first being PBLv1.1 which should be just a distribution upgrade to the current PBLv1 and adding in a couple of scripts to allow fixes for people that were having issues with their drivers not working properly (this is more of an error on Ubuntu's side as their main focus isn't on broadcast mode for wireless cards) and maybe a couple of tweaks to the interface (possibly switching to Gnome 3, which is something that I don't want to do as it is so resource intensive) and allowing support for USB persistance of up to 8 gigs of files which will help everyone keep sharing! thumbs up

And I'm much more excited about PBLv2.0 which is a complete remake of PBL using Ubuntu 13 server and uses the Awesome window environment to allow us dev's to have ultimate control over its behavior. It will consist of a completely re-written group of PirateBox scripts and will be much faster and less process intensive. It will have a LNMP stack (Linux, Nginx, MySQL, and PHP/Perl/Python) and will use dnsmasq as always for both DHCP and DNS. But it will also support HTTPS which really isn't necessary but is just another feature that people might need for specific reasons / situations. It will also have all of the same features (besides UI) as stated above.

Also if all goes to plan I can implement the same thing I am doing with BackTrack at my school, create a slipstream weekly update system that uses the ISO and chroot jails to hop into the distro and update everything then re-roll it and push it onto GitHub, Subversion, or in raw iso. It does MD5 sums too which means we will get WEEKLY updates to PirateBox Live. Of course these will be weekly builds and about once a month I will test everything and make those the stable builds that most users will download.

=====

PirateBox Scripts / Program

The other part is that I am completely re-writting PirateBox Scripts to be more clean and to have support for things like third party modules, https, and administrative tools. I am mostly focusing on turning this into a package that will get accepted into Ubuntu repositories which will allow the simplicity of using apt or ppa's. I am also working on support for Arch linux, Fedora Core, and Free/OpenBSD.

I am also looking into creating a script for DD-WRT users like myself to be able to use PirateBox (This shouldn't be that rough as they already use dnsmasq and a webserver) which will again allow us to broaden our supported devices tree.

The GUI has almost no priority as I have no experience with graphical programming and prefer a CLI for most things anyway, if everything gets done properly I will work on this.