Pre-made Images

Posted by TerrorByte 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Pre-made Images
January 26, 2013 02:32AM
After messing with chroot so much lately I was wondering if we could take the default OpenWRT images we use and put them into a chroot jail and do everything we normally do and then re package the jail as the bin, then new users would only have to load the .bin into the update firmware field. I understand that the limitation is the USB drive, but is there any way that the firmware upgrade could handle all of that? Is this something that's do-able? Because theoretically it could make it almost as simple as download and click.
Re: Pre-made Images
January 26, 2013 01:02PM
may you can download the stuff, which will be on the usb stick, during the first bootup.

But would it be more worth to create a useful install then a hard-to-maintain image for every device?
January 28, 2013 08:42PM
Really, I believe that for the most common images (MR30 and the WR) could make it very easy for new users to install. We could also still keep the old install info for the not as common routers. I just know that we often get some new users who are even concerned about using the command line and this could streamline the process for them.
January 28, 2013 09:52PM
tell me
January 30, 2013 01:49PM
I believe that we should have the ability to create new pirateboxes offline, but my unix knowledge is not good.

Would it be feasable to have a script or an executable that puts all the prerequisite files to generate a Piratebox on the USB drive? This means you should only need to flash the rom then run the script to create a device without needing to connect it to the internet to finish downloading. It also means that in the event of an internet outage you can use one piratebox to generate more as the required files can be copied from the USB drive to the new one.
January 30, 2013 02:09PM
me-tan, I like to have a feature like that, too.
I dropped the work on this, because it wasn't easy to stay close to all the dependencies the OpenWRT packages have.
January 31, 2013 01:45PM
Hi, all!
Can i built piratebox.ipk in image?
January 31, 2013 03:56PM
check this repository:
[github.com]