idea: P2P - Gnutella2 (G2) Protocal on a RPi or 2nd MR3020

Posted by hi_tech_guy_18 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
idea: P2P - Gnutella2 (G2) Protocal on a RPi or 2nd MR3020
November 25, 2013 11:44AM
Gnutella2 Protocal Could allow a MR3020 or RPi to be a Intelligent P2P file sharing engine
- Auto Searches files on other Gnutella2 Enabled MR3020 and starts Auto downloading Matching results.
- Incomplete files resume (Perfect if the MR3020 is on the move and moving in and out of wi-fi range
- Better file resume/competition on Wi-fi Mesh protocols
- File Hash's - protects files from fake files / allows others with the same file to compete a download

However if the MR3020 isnt up to it it can just be a Gnutella2 Root Node - IP Directory Server
While more powerful hardware like a Pi, Smartphone, tablet, netbook, laptop, pc &mac
Runs the More Complex Server & Client Software

Gnutella2 Protocal does offer protection and prevents rouge users from Uploading Malicious Content that will most likely get you arrested and were unaware that they uploaded it / or infect others
Re: idea: P2P - Gnutella2 (G2) Protocal on a RPi or 2nd MR3020
November 25, 2013 06:15PM
Hi,
that is a very nice idea!
I just started to digg into the topic, but the only thing I found was "mutella" as a -already working- package. BUT this is the gnutella1 standard.

So, we have to find a CLI-based (or with webfrontend) tool, that we can push to be ported on MIPS somehow...

Matthias
November 26, 2013 01:17AM
Sharelin - Gnutella2 (G2)
[sourceforge.net]
Since its open source code it may just need some one to look over the code and translate any segments for MIPS compatibility and compile it

if someones gifted with programming they could overlook the code and workout the code for MIPS
even write in Mesh Support (New protocol Gnutella2 Mesh)
November 26, 2013 07:09PM
*sigh* yes, that would be cool ... :/
But I think, if we shout here, nobody will here.

Possible a mail to freeSoftwarefoundation??
November 27, 2013 04:42AM
Lucky for us the guy does list his email on page

However shouting here does open up the doors of possible Gifted coders that might be already on PirateBox Door Step who can also help. After all we do have the Raspberry pi owners

Matthias you have Admin and dose this forum software have a Notices Function
Where you can put a notice up on the Top of all thread topics to get there attention

Notices are a good way to Drive Community's for New Software
November 28, 2013 06:23PM
Found something useful for this project
Lightweight PHP GWebCache: Cachechu
[code.google.com]
[Uses a Flat File Database]
Note the files do need a Little modification for Piratebox

P2P Clients Supports: Gnutella, Gnutella2 (g2), foxy, mute

What is it : This is the Discovery GWebCache - IP Directory Pool of Active P2P Clients
- This allows the P2P Clients to spot each other over PirateBox
Clients will connect to this and add them self's and collect the list frequently
- This means the PirateBox can indirectly support p2p protocols between clients

However The P2P Clients Example will need a Manual Entry of the PirateBox GWebCache url added to their Discovery servers list
ie
- [piratebox.lan]
- [piratebox.lan]
or even
- [GWebCache.piratebox.lan]
- [GWebCache.piratebox.lan]

For the Shareaza client this is done by pressing F9 and right clicking in the list Manual Add a New GWebCache server and pasting the url

if i can make my piratebox a little more open to development I can test this

I willl need to access and modify pbIMG_ws.img
To add new pages even instructions

Not sure on the commands (new to linux) Plus need a cron job to cycle the GWebCache files
( i use fedora due you can use root user to open root windows which make it all easier to move files about)
November 17, 2015 06:28PM
Can u guys provide a step to step on how to install this project on my pirate box
November 17, 2015 07:42PM
This was only a draft...
May 26, 2018 02:46PM
I've been looking into a similar idea using IPFS, and think that software holds promise.
February 07, 2019 02:55AM
P2P software and meshing was mentioned in this thread by me.