Another distributed filesystem beside BittorrentSync

Posted by Matthias 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Another distributed filesystem beside BittorrentSync
January 30, 2014 08:38PM
ori.scs.stanford.edu
Ori is a distributed file system built for offline operation and empowers the user with control over synchronization operations and con.flict resolution. We provide history through light weight snapshots and allow users to verify the history has not been tampered with. Through the use of replication instances can be resilient and recover damaged data from other nodes.

It is called "ori" and is a "fuse"-based filesystem.

it IS opensource and in beta.

[ori.scs.stanford.edu]

refering to the build process, I don't know if it can be ported to OpenWRT, but maybe yes.

What do you think?
k4k
Re: Another distributed filesystem beside BittorrentSync
June 16, 2014 02:05PM
Sorry for resurrecting an old topic but I thought I would chime in since this is something I'd like to see implemented. A quick Google search looks like there are some people already working on getting GlusterFS working on OpenWRT and other ARM/MIPS based systems. In my limited searching I wasn't able to find anyone who had actually succeeded but it might be worth looking into if nothing else since there seems to at least be some interest in that arena.
July 13, 2015 02:03PM
I don't think GlusterFS is the right fit. The goal of GlusterFS is to maintain real-time consistency across multiple nodes. At file access time, it expects to connect to all other nodes to verify that the file it's serving is the latest one. While it can operate in an "offline" capacity, that's considered an error state and recovering from a split-brain scenario isn't a pleasant process.

I think the goal is something more like a Dropbox situation: a set of files are synchronized when they find themselves in contact with the Internet. In this case, it would likely be a trusted peer. Ori sounds very interesting.
July 13, 2015 06:47PM
>> I don't think GlusterFS is the right fit. The goal of GlusterFS is to maintain real-time consistency across multiple nodes.
True, after a year more experience in this topic, I can totally agree with your.

Maybe syncthing can be an option?

This is only my signature.
What about Syncthing. Check it out at [syncthing.net]
September 29, 2015 11:37PM
Syncthing is great. I like & use it a lot.

The question is, what do you want to achieve smiling smiley

From the technical perspective, syncthing might be a bit too memory intensive... if someone manages it to get it working on OpenWrt+go + MIPS/AR71xx based chips.

Maybe it is a good usecase for mix between RPi and normal PirateBoxes. I don't know

This is only my signature.