Cannot find Piratebox: free share

Posted by bert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Cannot find Piratebox: free share
April 09, 2015 01:57AM
after starting piratebox the network is offline, but even when i manually start the network-manager service with sudo i cannot find any ssid called piratebox on my iphone of other pc's with wifi.

i also tried to run it all as root, but no difference.

p.s. wlan0 works fine and is online, so i figured after starting piratebox it should be running and findable by other machines right?
Re: Cannot find Piratebox: free share
April 09, 2015 05:01PM
can you try to find out which wifi card you have?

keep in mind, the livedvd image is a very old version with not the most recent drivers
April 09, 2015 08:44PM
thanks for your reply.

it's an internal network adapter (inside a acer aspire one notebook), in windows it shows up as:

INTEL WIFI LINK 1000 BGN

today i ordered a MR3020 so within a week i'll have compatible hardware but meanwhile it would be cool to already play with piratebox, so if you have any tips i'll appreciate it.

regards,

Bert
October 30, 2015 02:46PM
SAME Problem mate, PLEASE someone help us out. I got it started and everything passed, no "fail" bullshit. but t here is NO connection to it on any wifi computer when i try and connect to it. Iv tried with an external TP Link WN725N Nano USB device, and it would be nice not to have to use it but i get "Fail" on the start pirsate box option without it ...so... HELP ME - Free Case of your choice Beer to the person who figures this out!
August 13, 2016 09:05AM
Was this problem resolved? It could be useful for the rest of the forum if you wrote down your findings.

Ubuntuhak, playing and tinkering with Ubuntu!
DangerousDiver
January 07, 2017 09:41PM
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I just encountered this same problem with my Acer Aspire One netbook and solved it.

I installed the PirateBox image (from here) directly to the netbook. I verified that the PirateBoxManager ran correctly according to procedure laid out on the forum post, but it refused to broadcast as an AP. I then took a look at piratebox.conf and sure enough, DO_IW was set to no. A quick edit to DO_IW="yes" in nano solved my issue. No other changes were necessary.

Hope this helps!

DD