Run PirateBox on your Laptop from USB [Windows PirateBoxLive] smoking smiley

Posted by TerrorByte 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Now, this forum is in read-only mode. You find details Details hereContinue on /r/PirateBox
Re: Run PirateBox on your Laptop from USB [Windows PirateBoxLive] smoking smiley
December 04, 2012 03:23PM
Hello Christophe, Nargren gave the best advice so far, and if that does not work would like to paste the output of the following command would be great for helping us trouble
lspci | grep -i wireless
lsusb

And actually Nargren he is using a USB wireless card, which means that we need an ifconfig to see which one is using wlan0 and wlan1. I also know from working with USB wireless cards that a suprising amount of them do not support monitor mode or do not use the mac80211 which is used for hostapd. So we might need to know which wireless card he intends to use.
Hi Nargren !
I am using the live-CD installed on my netbook.
... so I guess I'll have to use your second option.

Many thanks for you detailled explanation. I'll try it out tonight.

Hi TerrorByte !
Thanks for your message as well !
I am using a Alpha AWUS036NH .... I think it will be on wlan1, but I'll check tonight.
From what I know it is using the chipset Ralink Chipset rt3070 ... which should be ok for monitoring ?

One question though : I looked at some other forum where they talked about setting up the power of the alpha everytime you boot-up (and make sure you're sending full power and listening at max sensitivity). Should I be doing that before launching piratebox ?
Re: Run PirateBox on your Laptop from USB [Windows PirateBoxLive] smoking smiley
December 05, 2012 03:10PM
Ah actually the AWUS036NH has issues going to monitor mode, I personally know from trying to get mine working with my 9dB antenae. I believe I did end up getting it to work by updating it to the latest driver which isn't perferable for a livecd. I believe that this was an issue with the Ubuntu driver, it had the same issues in BackTrack. I happen to have my AWUS036NH with me at the moment and a VM of Ubuntu, let me see if I can get monitor mode to work properly. If I can I bet you its a driver update, and if that is the case I will try my hardest to get PirateBox v1.1 out for you smiling smiley
December 05, 2012 04:13PM
Okay, so I did get monitor mode to work with the latest kernel, I will try the old one when I get home just to verify. When you start up piratebox do you get any [fail]'s? If it is on wlan1 instead of wlan0 you may have to try editing the configuration file after using piratebox manager.
My old Asus EEEPC running Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 (installed so I can run Arduino IDE on it) is now serving as a PirateBox. It starts slow but works nonetheless following the exact instructions above. Thanks, this is awesome!
Hmm i wonder if this would run ok on a raspberry Pi
January 21, 2013 06:19AM
Have a look here: [piratebox.aod-rpg.de]

kind regards
Matthias
January 21, 2013 03:32PM
Also, I'm still perfecting the scripts and packages before I put them out in the wild, and as soon as that happens I should be able to make the Raspberry Pi image in less than an hour. So hopefully "soon" we should have it even easier.
January 22, 2013 09:29AM
I think I just finished a "out-of-the-box" raspberryPI Image

I'm only encountering some weird issues with the initialization. After I fixed that, I'll upload the image-file

I'll continue the RPi discussion in the RPi thread

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 12:08PM by Matthias.
just download the ISO from Ubuntu.com and then do the same with UNetBootin grinning smiley
Is there anyway to run this in VMware?
January 25, 2013 04:14PM
I built the ISOs in VirtualBox and tested them with an external card, so VMware should work.
January 30, 2013 02:17AM
I installed this on a junk USB thumbdrive I had lying around using my Windows laptop, and booted it up on my old EEEPC which usually runs Ubuntu Netbook 10.10 - it worked so perfectly the first time - something that almost never happens when I try things like this ... hats off to the people who did this and thanks for teaching yet another new trick to my "old dog" EEEPC.

Can't wait to see where this project goes next. Got a list of tasks non-developers can work on to help out?

Helios Labs - Design, Innovation, Education, Fun. [helioslabs.blogspot.com]
February 06, 2013 03:14AM
PLEASE make a up-to-date image.
February 06, 2013 06:01AM
TerrorByte is currently working on this
February 06, 2013 08:16PM
I hope so, It's been a while since a project has exicted me as much as this one.

I already have a laptop/netgear router setup that's portable and everyone at my tech loved it and want to build a network.
Using the .iso and unetbootin, it installs on usb stick, and boots, but doesn't find the wireless interface. It could be that this dell is using the broadcom b43 drivers. With regular ubuntu, one can go find the b43 and broadcom firmware for the dell wifi, but with this image of the sw on top of ubuntu, not sure where to start to get basic wifi running, and then see if the hostapd can run on this system.

I guess I could plop in another USB wifi adapter in another usb port, any suggestions on adapters that support hostapd? Thanks.
I would like to install PirateBox on a USB permanently, anyway to do that?
this way I can mount what ever I need to share
I normally run linux , but dont have enough partitions to add a bootable Piratebox partition
March 04, 2013 05:35AM
im very proud to say also its boot via dvd I burned it to a dvd then installed it on a spare flash i had works 100 percent
PirateBoxLive .iso only 20KB?
March 25, 2013 05:29AM
Tried to install PirateBoxLive on a USB stick, but upon reboot, Unetbootin gives me only a Default option to select, and then continually tries to boot in after 10 seconds.

Seems that the PBL iso file size is only 20KB... does this sound right? I would expect the iso to be larger in size.

Perhaps I'm not downloading the .iso properly. I am right-clicking on the pirateboxlive.iso file and choosing 'Save Link As...' but only getting a 20KB file once downloaded. Is there some otherway I should be downloading the .iso file?
March 29, 2013 02:13PM
Trying to run the Live Image on a Lenova T400... have an Intel Pro/Wireless 5100 AGN card... looks like it boots and iwconfig shows the card on wlan0. When I run PirateBoxManager and do the first setup it looks like it runs correctly, but I don't see the SSID broadcasting.

Has any played around with a system with an Intel 5100 successfully?

Thanks!
Re: PirateBoxLive .iso only 20KB?
April 03, 2013 03:57PM
Sounds like you are trying to install the torrent file. That file is to download the ISO using a torrent client (like uTorrent or Transmission) and that should be more than 1 GB.
hello I own a lenovo s10 and consistent monitoring alfa wifi antenna but I c not why she does not go into monitoring mode on my s10 though on my pc the office it works but when I do not even have the networks that appears
thank you
August 28, 2013 10:33PM
Are there any prerequisites or special instructions for running this in Virtualbox? I know that VMs are a bit screwy when it comes to them directly using wireless cards.
average joe
Image board?
August 01, 2014 02:52PM
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.
Kudos to you.
I have a question/request is there any plan to make image board functionality in this or update to ubuntu 14.04 ?
Thanks again.
September 27, 2014 06:27PM
Can i simplay use the Install icon on the desktop to install this to the hard drive of a laptop? I have a ToughBook CF-29 laying around...
When i type pirateboxmanager nothing happens, even when i go into the graphical interface and browse to the /usr/bin directory and double click to run it, also nothing happens.

what might cause this please?
April 09, 2015 01:53AM
my bad; i forgot the capitals and only typed pirateboxmanager in lower case. oops

thanks for the reply though.